Announcement of a weekly blog writing competition by LawSikho and iPleaders
iPleaders is pleased to announce a weekly blog writing competition. Every week we will select the top 10 published articles from iPleaders blog and award them a Certificate of Excellence. Moreover, the top 5 blogs from those get a reward of ₹2,000 each, along with ₹1000 of LawSikho Store Credits. This is not restricted to any particular week. Still, we go around the year, Monday to Sunday (what counts as the effective date for this purpose is the day of publication and not the day of submission), each and every week unless we suspend or cancel the competition at any time.
One person can submit as many articles as they wish and as frequently as they want to. However, only one article submitted by an individual or co-authors in a week will be considered for the prize money. But, submitting more articles will increase your chances of winning.
We hope that the competition will help in motivating the legal community to write good articles and get them published on India’s largest legal blog – The iPleaders blog. We expect this to serve two great purposes: one is to encourage good legal writers to write more frequently and make more legal information and knowledge universally accessible.
All the necessary details related to the competition are available below. In case of any confusion, please contact Vanshika at 9899596921.
What is LawSikho?
LawSikho is India’s leading online education company that creates advanced and practical legal courses that cater to lawyers, leading businesses and even universities.
We bridge the gap between theory and practice in legal education.
We bring industry insights into the domain of legal learning and make the learning of practical skills simpler, quicker and cheaper.
Over the years, LawSikho has become a formidable library of practical legal knowledge, a repository of insights, video lessons, how-to guides and templates that can elevate a legal practice and help it to scale faster.
LawSikho is also a community of lawyers who will forever be law students at heart, and dedicate some of their time to studying and learning the law, writing about it and finally teaching it.
This community is also a force behind many projects like the iPleaders blog, which is one of the largest and most well-read legal blogs in the world, with around one crore individuals reading it annually, many events and webinars, as well as our fast-growing YouTube channel. LawSikho also has projects like ‘Project Access’, through which we have been making the entire law school curriculum available on YouTube for free in the form of video lectures, and creating free access to reading materials as well.
- Top 5 submissions of every week will get a cash prize of ₹2,000 each.
- Top 5 submissions will get a certificate of merit (no physical copy, but online)
- Top 10 participants would get a certificate of excellence and the chance to intern at the iPleaders blog if they wish.
- Best articles (including the ones mentioned above) will get published on India’s largest legal blog- the iPleaders blog.
- Top authors will be added to an official “wall of fame.”
- Recommendations for internships at law firms that would partner with us to be provided to winners.
- LawSikho store credits worth ₹1,000 (you can use this to buy courses from LawSikho.com) for top 5 authors.
Note: We keep sharing exciting content and many more exciting competitions on our YouTube channel, Telegram channel and Instagram channel. Subscribe to our channels for the same.
Any person and every person who wants to submit an article on a legal topic which meets the below-mentioned criteria are eligible to submit the article for the competition.
Articles published in a particular week will be eligible to be considered for the competition during that week only and no other week.
Submissions on any legal topic which have been searched on the blog and is not already exhaustively mentioned on the blog would be accepted. We would also consider articles on the legal industry, legal career, the legal profession, law school life etc.
The article should be a minimum of 2000 words (there is no maximum word limit, while it is best if all relevant points considering the title are mentioned in the article).
If more people read your article, like it, engage with it, share it and comment on it, we take that as a sign that your article is well received, and this is something we would take into consideration while deciding the winners, apart from the quality and exhaustiveness of the article.
It may so happen that we do not find five articles to select because they do not meet the following criteria, in which case we will not consider sub-par articles for the rewards. We may announce four or fewer winners or even none at all if the articles do not meet quality standards.
Your articles will be marked on the following points. You should meet the following criteria to qualify to win:
- The article should meet professional standards and be of publishable quality.
- Any plagiarism will make the article non-publishable on the iPleaders blog and thus, they would be rejected.
- The content shouldn’t be too dense/ technical for a reader. The concepts and case laws covered in the content should be easily understandable and mentioned in the simplest yet grammatically correct form.
- Content should not be ambiguous or should not have multiple meanings. We hate vague writing.
- It should be detailed and exhaustive. Answer all the questions that may come to one’s mind regarding the topic. However, do not deviate and write irrelevant things to make up the word count. Content needs to be genuine and strictly relevant.
- Information and law should be accurate. Relevant sections referred to must be mentioned everywhere and the cases must have citations. If this criterion is not met, we cannot select your article.
- You have to be straight to the point and precise. No beating around the bush.
- The idea should be communicated clearly and distinctly.
- There must be sufficient examples. We would appreciate it if there are accompanying PPTs, videos, tables, charts, infographics, etc. to explain the concept completely. Please do not violate someone else’s copyright for this. That would get you disqualified.
- Inconsistent technical terms should not be used in the document.
- Acronyms used in the articles should be explained.
- Important points should be properly highlighted, and the paragraphs should have proper headings and subheadings. More headings and subheadings and bullet points you put, the better chance of winning, because we love well-structured articles.
- Information should not be repetitive.
- You should avoid over-exaggeration or over-explanation of concepts.
- The article should be in a proper flow. Paragraphs/ sentences/ headings/ sub-headings (select as appropriate) should be connected with the previous and subsequent paragraph/ sentence/ heading/ sub-heading (select as appropriate).
- Sentences and bullet points should be complete sentences.
- All the judgments or statutory instruments should be hyperlinked. Non-functional/ not updated to the latest amendment links should not be inserted.
Note: Hyperlinks are to be like this: In X vs. Z, 2018 Supreme Court (see here) or in the report by Fox News (see here). If materials are shared in print only (and there is no online mode), simply add the link under the “References” heading at the end of the article.
[Ctrl + Shift + K is the Google Keyboard Shortcut for inserting a hyperlink].
- All the sources of the information should be acknowledged and hyperlinked to the same.
- Heading should not be marked as subheadings (and vice-versa).
- Unoriginal content shall be unacceptable.
- Formatting standards should be followed.
- Editors discretion is final regarding winners.
Refer to these articles to understand what we consider as good article.
Also, read these articles as they may help you a great deal.
Date of Submission
Sunday of every week will be considered as the last day of submission for that week. All the articles submitted after Sunday will, by default be considered for next week. This is a weekly competition. The week will be considered to start every Monday and end on every Sunday.
Mail your write-ups on Email Id: [email protected]
Declaration of results
Results will be declared within 30 days from the last day of submission (30 days from Sunday of that week).
By submitting your article for this competition, you are giving Addictive Learning Technology Private Limited exclusive and unlimited license, without any restriction of time or geographical restriction, to publish your article on iPleaders blog, as well as any other compendium where we may like to publish it. Quid pro quo is the opportunity to participate in the competition. However, if we do not publish your article within 30 days of submission, we would have no rights to your article, and you would be free to publish it elsewhere or use it as you deem fit. However, if we publish it, you will not attempt to publish the same article/content anywhere else.
Points to keep in mind regarding the format of the blog
- Headings: Font Size 16, BOLD
- Sub Headings: Font Size 14, BOLD ITALIC
- Content: Font Size 12, NORMAL
- Font: Times New Roman
- Line Spacing (main text): 1.15
- References: You have to mention all the sources you referred to while writing the article.
- References (formatting): Font Size 10, NORMAL
- Line Spacing (References): 1.0
- Margins: 2″ on each side
- Structure of the article should be well constructed, i.e., must include every possible aspect of law and judicial pronouncements with regard to the title.
- The article should be exhaustive in itself to provide every necessary information to the reader regarding the topic.
- The article should be logically and creatively written.
- Grammar and concept should be correct. (We recommend the authors to run the articles through the Grammar checking tools before submitting them)
- Articles submitted should be original and unpublished. (Articles having more than 20% unoriginal content will be rejected).
- Should be submitted on an exclusive basis.
- The topic should be creative in itself.
Resources – How to write an article
Email: [email protected]
Shubham Bansal, Marketing Manager, iPleaders/LawSikho: [email protected]
Vanshika Kapoor, Assistant Editor & Content Manager, iPleaders: [email protected]