Indian Visa

Work related Visa in India

Indian Visa
There are two types of work related visas for non-Indian’s who wish to come to India for work related purposes:
Business Visa designated as ‘B’ Visa and Employment Visa designated as ‘E’ Visa.


Business Visa

This is not applicable for people who are coming to India for part time or full time employment. The following activities can be carried out under a business visa: establishing an industrial/business venture or exploring possibilities to set up industrial/business venture in India, purchase/sell industrial products or commercial products or consumer durables, technical meetings/discussions, attending Board meetings or general meetings, providing business services support, recruitment of manpower, for performing duties as partners in a business and/or functioning as Directors of the company, consultations regarding exhibitions or for participation in exhibitions, trade fairs, business fairs etc., transacting business with suppliers/ potential suppliers at locations in India as buyer, to evaluate or monitor quality, give specifications, place orders, negotiate further supplies etc., relating to goods or services procured from India, acting as experts/specialists on a visit of short duration in connection with an ongoing project with the objective of monitoring the progress of the work, conducting meetings with Indian customers and/or to provide technical guidance, pre-sales or post-sales activity not amounting to actual execution of any contract or project, in-house training of trainees of multinational companies/corporate houses in the regional hubs of the concerned company located in India, internship on project based work in companies/industries for students sponsored by AIESEC, conducting tours and functioning as travel agents and/or conducting business tours of foreigners or business relating to it.
Duration of business visa is only of 6 months.
Click Above

Those who want to take up employment or consultancy in India for a substantial duration are required to take an employment visa.

Download Now

Employment Visa

Foreign national who wants to visit India for employment in a company/ firm/organization registered in India or for employment in a foreign company/ firm/organization engaged for execution of some project in India, can obtain employment visa provided that they are being sponsored for an Employment Visa by their employer and they draw a salary in excess of US$ 25,000 per annum. The condition of annual floor limit on income will not apply to:

  • Ethnic cooks,
  • Language teachers (other than English language teachers) / translators and
  • Staff working for the concerned Embassy/High Commission in India.

Employment visa is also granted to foreigners coming to India as a consultant on contract for whom the Indian company pays a fixed remuneration (this may not be in the form of a monthly salary), foreign artists engaged to conduct regular performances for the duration of the employment contract given by Hotels, Clubs, other organizations, coaches of national /state level teams, or reputed sports clubs, sportsmen who are given contract for a specified period by the Indian Clubs/organizations, self-employed foreign nationals coming to India for providing engineering, medical, accounting, legal or such other highly skilled services in their capacity as independent consultants provided the provision of such services by foreign nationals is permitted under law, engineers/technicians coming to India for installation and commissioning of equipment/machines/tools in terms of the contract for supply of such equipment/machines/tools, providers of technical support/services, transfer of know-how/services for which the Indian company pays fees/royalty to the foreign company.


Residential permit – on entry into India

Foreign nationals including their family members who intend to stay in India for more than 180 days or have visa for more than 180 days, have to get themselves registered with the Foreigners’ Regional Registration Office (FRRO) within 2 weeks of their first arrival in India. For the purposes of registration, the persons are required to make an application in the prescribed form and be present in person at the time of registration. The following documents are required to be submitted along with application:

  • Application form in quadruplicate (Form A)
  • Passport and visa in original
  • 4 passport size photographs
  • Proof of residence in India
  • Copy of employment contract and undertakings by the employer

Once the FRRO is satisfied about the above documents, a “Residential permit” to stay in India is issued to the foreign national.


PAN and Service Tax Registration

Employees and consultants are required to seek tax registration (Permanent Account Number) with the Indian Income tax authorities upon their arrival in India. This is a onetime registration. Foreign nationals providing services in India should check if they are liable to pay service tax.


LawSikho has created a telegram group for exchanging legal knowledge, referrals and various opportunities. You can click on this link and join:

Follow us on Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel for more amazing legal content 



  1. I am USA citizen married to an Indian citizen, I came to india on an entry visa I just found out after getting here I cannot work with this visa. I was told to get PIO card but the consulate said they no longer issue these cards. I checked into OCI cards but I need to be married 2 years and I have only been married 1 year. Any options to help would’ve appreciated.

  2. How to arrange a visa for Foreigner coming on a part time job? Pls advise if anyone aware of any agency who can assist in getting the paper work done?

  3. Hi,

    Could you please shed some light on the position of those foreigners working with Indian NGOs? By my understanding they may not be paid more than Rs. 10,000/- per month and their visa will specifically mention that they are in India to work with an NGO.

    What is the position if a regular ‘E’ visa is issued to a foreign national working with an Indian NGO? And the salary paid is more than Rs.10,000/- per month but does not amount to $25,000? what are the consequences of non compliance and how does someone in this situation apply for renewal of his/her indian visa?


  4. Business Immigration Visa assists businessmen and investors (High Net-worth Individuals/HNIs), residing in any part of the world, willing to make an investment in a foreign country and at the same time wanting to obtain residency/permanent immigration of that country.

    visit for details


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here