This article is written by Ramanuj Mukherjee, CEO, LawSikho.
A litmus test in politics is a question asked of a potential candidate for high office, the answer to which would determine whether the nominating official would proceed with the appointment or nomination.
For us, it would simply mean the questions your employer would ask you in your interview that would decide if you’re really worth hiring. Most of these questions will be about how you are going to add value to their already established practice.
You really need to prove to the employer that you offer a skill-set better than the rest of the job seekers that have applied. And that if you are hired, you are going to be around long term, and at least prima facie it looks like that you are going to be a valuable addition to their team.
Before you answer these questions satisfactorily, you need to anticipate these questions and answer them well for yourself, so that you stand a chance of convincing the interviewer when the time comes.
So the next time you send out that application for recruitment, first answer these questions for yourself:
- How will your work add value to the firm?
- Does it align with the kind of specialization you really want to pursue? How does this particular role fit into your long term career plan?
- What will you get to learn and why do you want to pursue a career in that particular specialization?
- What will you accomplish in the next couple of years if you get the opportunity?
- With whom will you get to work? Why are you the right person to help them in their mission?
- What kind of person are you at the workplace? Will they have to invest a lot of resources in you to make you productive?
- Will they have to give you extensive training to make you successfully handle your workload? Or are you ready to do the tasks with minimal intervention from your superiors? How much time will you take to ramp up to full productivity and profitability for the employer?
If you’re a lawyer or a law student interested in Mergers and Acquisitions and investment laws,
- Do you know what are the steps involved in an M&A or investment transaction? Do you know what drives M&As or the commercial intent of private equity or business models of VC firms so that you can handle a client call with aplomb?
- What have you done so far to learn or build a track record in this area of law?
- Do you know the legislations, compliances, and documents involved in undertaking a business transfer, asset purchase, share acquisition, or a scheme of arrangement?
- What do you know about relevant sections of company law, FEMA or FDI policy?
- What do you know about the due diligence process involved in M&A and investment transactions?
Well, if you could show the employer that you know about the processes involved in an M&A deal and already understand the ins and outs of drafting agreements like an asset purchase agreement, chances are maximized for you to cut the edge.
As a lawyer or law student trying to understand and set your practice as a top-notch criminal litigator,
- Do you know how to collect evidence for your case and how to present them well before the relevant forums?
- What are the drafting skills that will set you apart as a criminal lawyer? How long will it take you to acquire them? Or have you already acquired them?
- How to set up and manage your own criminal law practice?
You definitely can not even think of being a criminal litigator if you do not have your basics right. Do you have the skills in you that would set you apart from the other applicants?
Have you ever thought of these questions if you want to diversify or begin your career in the field of real estate law?
- What is the procedure under the RERA from registering a residential or commercial office space project? What are the compliances that builders struggle with, and how much are they ready to pay lawyers to help with these tasks?
- Do I know how to draft the frequently used property-related documents such as the joint development agreement, lease agreements, leave and license agreements?
- Can you handle a client call without losing your nerves and actually contribute positively during the call?
Real estate law as a specialized practice is still a niche area. Imagine the prospects of your career if you show the employer that you already possess a good knowledge about the practice and can draft agreements relevant to it.
Wouldn’t it be awesome?
This year, we at LawSikho have also taken up the audacious goal of building an unparalleled placement cell to help our students.
We are starting to measure our effectiveness by creating a new metric, called a GIG (Gross Income Generated).
Our goal is that you should be able to earn 10 times the amount that you pay us because of what you will gain from our course. We are doggedly focused on this goal.
It’s not that difficult.
If you have a job and you want to build your own clients 3 retainers paying you 10,000 per month gives you INR 30,000 per month of self-generated income.
Comment below to know more about our placement cell and how can you benefit from it from one of our experts.
Here are a few of our students slaying in their law careers. Let’s have a look at how did they do it –
- Nikita Anand, an ex-Clifford Chance lawyer who is building her full-service law firm, Magnus Legal shares how she is using Master Access– here.
- Manali Narula, a Company Secretary who is using our Contract Drafting Course (enrolment closes today) to expand her practice by performing contract drafting work for clients here.
- Sankeit Tanejaa, a young lawyer, uses our contract drafting course to perform his everyday tasks at the law firm he works at and to prepare for the solicitor’s exam here.
- Vaishvik Patel, a law student pursuing CFA, is using our securities law and capital markets course to help his clients deal with regulatory issues here.
- See how Asgar Ali, an HR consultant is benefiting from our labour law course here.
Do you also want our help to develop a successful career with a full-proof plan?
You can keep 10 hours aside every week. For instance, you can meet 5 clients for 2 hours every week, and perform free legal-health checkups around any area of law, which can then lead up to paid work if you play your cards right. We are guiding our learners on how to do that.
Join any of our courses, and let us prepare you to grab your fair share of opportunities. You will see the difference within 2 weeks, that is our promise. No kidding, you even have 30 days money-back guarantee from us to rely on!
Comment below if you wish to speak to one of our experts for a free career counseling session.
Do not forget to download and read through the free course material for any of our courses. It’s absolutely free!
Here’s the link to the course pages that we are currently accepting enrolment in:
Diploma in M&A, Institutional Finance and Investment Laws (PE and VC transactions)
Diploma in Intellectual Property, Media and Entertainment Laws
Diploma in Companies Act, Corporate Governance and SEBI Regulations
Diploma in Business Laws for In-House Counsels
EXECUTIVE CERTIFICATE COURSES
Certificate Course in Legal Practice Development and Management
Certificate Course in Real Estate Laws
Certificate Course in Advanced Criminal Litigation & Trial Advocacy
Certificate Course in Media and Entertainment Law: Contracts, Licensing and Regulations
Follow us on Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel for more amazing legal content.