In this blog post, Arunima Kar, a student at UPES and pursuing a Diploma in Entrepreneurship Administration and Business Laws from NUJS, Kolkata, provides information on the top five Indian origin lawyers in the European Union.
Till early 19th Century, the Indian Origin Lawyers in the European Union were few. However, with the advent of globalization and introduction of firm culture, the Indian Origin Lawyers shifting to European Union Countries gained prominence. Now the different Indian Origin Lawyers have started setting up their business firms in EU countries. They not only advice EU Countries but also focus on Asian Pacific, Middle East countries.
What is the Meaning of Indian Origin?
Generally, the word “Indian Origin” is confused with NRI, residence and citizenship. However, A Person of Indian Origin (PIO) means –
- A foreign citizen (except a national of Pakistan, Afghanistan Bangladesh, China, Iran, Bhutan, Sri Lanka and Nepal) who at any time held an Indian passport,
- Who or either of their parents/grandparents/great grandparents was born and was permanently a resident in India as defined in Government of India Act, 1935 and the other territories that became part of India thereafter, provided, neither was at any time a citizen of any of the aforesaid countries (as referred above) or,
- Who is a spouse of a citizen of India or a PIO.
Countries Included under the European Union
- Czech Republic
- The United Kingdom.
List of Top 5 Indian Origin Lawyers in EU
- Shami Chakrabarti
- Shami Chakrabarti was born in London. She studied Law at London School of Economics.
- She also worked as a research assistant and published paper on the British approach to terrorism.
- From her childhood days, she was interested in politics. After completing her graduation she joined bar and also worked as an in-house legal Counsel for Home Office.
- From the year 2001, she started working with Human Rights Organization Liberty.
- She has always been known for her sharp-ended and diplomatic wording. This usually attracted audience and was frequently invited as a contributor to various newspapers to discuss on the topic of Human Rights.
“To kill a Mocking Bird made me Lawyer” – Shami Chakrabarti.
- She has been described as “the most effective public affair lobbyists of the past 20 years”.
- She after working for years as the human rights liberty leader finally on 31st March, 2016 joined leading Commercial Chambers. The Exxes Chamber is one of the world’s largest Corporations. However, after criticizing a lot, later this year, she chaired an inquiry on anti-Semitism by Jerey Corbyn, labor party. Later this year, she has been appointed as the Shadow Attorney General in Jeremy Corbyn’s new team.
- Dr. Daniel Sharma
- Daniel Sharma is a Partner at DLA Pipers in the Munich and Brussels office. He completed his Law in Germany and Mediation in UK.
- He is admitted as a German Rechtsanwalt and a Solicitor of England and Wales. He is a part of Litigation and Arbitration team.
- He also acts as the Joint Head of the firm’s Global India Group. The Law Firm has its office in more than 30 Countries i.e. Europe, Middle East, Africa, Asia Pacific etc. The specialization area of the firm includes International Trade, Regulatory and Government affairs; International Arbitration; Antitrust and Competition.
- Prior to joining DLA Piper in 2010, Daniel was a partner at Frankfurt and Brussels.
- Daniel has also a vast amount of experience in the energy, defense, infrastructure, pharmaceutical sectors.
- He holds a good command in English, French, German.
“Daniel Sharma took the firm to the next level. He is an excellent arbitrator. He is calm but self- confident to resolve the issues”. He has been recognized as a dispute resolution Lawyer by the “Best lawyers” and “Legal 500.” – Stated by Juve
- Daniel Sharma is a member of ICC Commission on Arbitration.
- He is also the part of board member and co- head of Legal Committee of European Indian Chamber of Commerce.
- He is Vice-President of the Indo-German Lawyers Association.
- Further, he holds the position of lecturer at University of Applied Sciences in Graz (Austria) and provides knowledge on Indian business Law.
- Further, he regularly advises Non-Indian firms where there is dispute with India. He also advises Indian investors outside India.
- Sarosh Zaiwalla
- Indian Origin Sarosh Zaiwalla is the founder of Zaiwalla & Co. Solicitors. It was started in the year 1982 offices in Chancery Lane, London.
- He is the senior partner and has over the years seen millions of pounds worth of legal cases.
- His area of specialization includes International Energy, Maritime, and Arbitration.
- He has represented in various stances as solicitor, Counsel, party appointed arbitrator or sole arbitrator.
- Sarosh Zaiwalla is also member of the International Court of the Arbitration of the ICC, Paris.
- He has been facilitated at various instances for his outstanding contribution in the field of Law and Arbitration.
- In 2004, he was even asked by Dalai Lama to point his view in finding peaceful resolution relating to Tibet.
- In 2007, Mr. Zaiwalla was called by UN Secretary Council Ban Ki Moon for Consultation on issues relating to World order.
- In 2008, he was also appointed in the Panel of Arbitrators under the Arbitration Act of Korea and Article 4 of the Arbitration Rules of the K.C.A.B. In 2016 he was featured in the list of ‘100 Most Connected Men’ in the UK in 2016.
- At one instance, he also chaired the Arbitration Tribunal with former Solicitor General of India Mr. Harish salve, which continued for four weeks in Mumbai. Multi-million disputes regarding the construction of power plant in Karnataka was governed by him taking into consideration Indian Law.
- Other activities in which Mr. Zaiwalla has been involved includes promoting economic cooperation between business in Asia and Europe.[13
- To note, he is a member of Bar Council of India.
- He is also the member of Law Society of England and Wales.
- Further, he holds the membership of Harris School of Public Policy, the Chicago University.
- He holds the role of trusteeship of the British Charity “The Unity of faith”.
- He has also authored in numerous Journals and Law Reviews.
- Kalyani Kaur
- Kalyani Kaur is a 54 year old Barrister, who was sworn as the Circuit Judge on 9th November, 2015.
- She had pursued her Law from the London School of Economics.
- She was called to the Bar in 1983 and became its recorder in the year of 2009.
- Kalyani Kaur is one of the most experienced lawyers of the United Kingdom and has practiced since the last 32 years.
- Besides being a Judge, she has also been a Senior Circuit Representative of the Bar Council, a vice-president (former chair) of the Association of Women Barristers and a Diversity Officer of South Eastern Circuit.
- Kalyani Kaur enjoys high repute in UK due to her proficiency in handling criminal cases.
- In the last ten years, she has handled many cases relating to murder, fraud, sexual offence and manslaughter.
- These have made her a very prominent person in the entire Law circuit.
- She has represented Bachan Kaur Athwal, a seventy year old Punjabi woman who was accused of “honour killing” her daughter in law in their home country.
- She also represented Anthony Sawaniuk, who had been accused of several murders during the trial of Second World War Crimes in 1999.
- Kalyani handled the most famous case of Rwanda v. Munyaneza, whereby the country of Rwanda was charged for extradition.
- Again one of the famous cases handled by her includes “Chohan murders”. In this particular case, five members of the same family were kidnapped and murdered.
- It was supposed to be the longest pending case in Old Bailey.
- Shailesh Vara
- Shailesh Vara is a British based politician who is a member of the Conservative Political Party of United Kingdom.
- He has held some important posts like the Parliamentary under Secretary of State at Department from Works and Pensions from July 2015 to July 2016.
- He has also served as Ministry of Justice from October 2013 to July 2016.
- He was born in the year 1960 in Uganda. He pursued his studies from the Brunel University of London, thereby qualifying as a solicitor.
- He worked for many Western Law firms, before entering into politics in the year of 2005.
- Besides the mentioned posts, he has also held the positions of the Assistant whip of (HM) Treasury from 2010 to 2012, Membership of Administrative Committee, Membership of Finance and Services Committee, Shadow Deputy Leader of House of Commons, Vice Chair of Conservative Party, Member of Environment, Rural and Food Affairs Committee. 
- He has voted for numerous causes which include – Reduction of funding by Central Government to local governments; For referendum regarding UK’s membership in the European Union; For the University of Tuition fees; Voted for increasing the rate of Value Added Tax; Voted for and against for removal of hereditary peers from House of Lords.
These 5 European Union Indian Origin Lawyers are certainly making Indian Proud. Isn’t it? Drop your comments regarding the article & Share it!!
References –https://mea.gov.in/Portal/CountryQuickLink/703_PIO-OCI.pdf(last visited: 1st November, 2016).
https://europa.eu/european-union/about-eu/countries_en(last visited: 1st November, 2016).
https://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/jul/11/shami-chakrabarti-kill-mockingbird-made-me-lawyer(last visited: 1st November, 2016).
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/davidaaronovitch/article2051805.ece(last visited: 1stNovember, 2016).
http://www.legalcheek.com/2016/03/former-liberty-director-to-join-top-commercial-set-39-essex-chambers/(last visited: 1st November, 2016).
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/07/shami-chakrabarti-has-sold-out-the-jewish-community-for-shadow-c/(last visited: 3rd November, 2016).
http://legaleraevents.com/Speakersgen/dr-daniel-h-sharma.html(last visited: 3rd November, 2016).
https://www.dlapiper.com/en/germany/people/s/sharma-daniel/?tab=credentials(last visited: 3rd November, 2016).
Supra note 2.
http://www.zaiwalla.co.uk/our-people/sarosh-zaiwalla(last visited: 3rd November, 2016).
http://www.ndtv.com/indians-abroad/3-indians-among-100-most-connected-men-in-uk-1395224?pfrom=home-diaspora(last visited: 3rd November, 2016).
 Supra Note 5.
https://www.5sah.co.uk/news-and-events/chambers-news/2015-10-20/kalyani-kaul-qc-appointed-as-circuit-judge(last visited: 3rd November, 2016).
http://www.jagranjosh.com/current-affairs/indianorigin-barrister-kalyani-kaul-swornin-as-circuit-judge-in-the-uk-1447393707-1(last visited: 3rd November, 2016).
https://www.gov.uk/government/people/shailesh-vara(last visited: 3rd November, 2016).
https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/11475/shailesh_vara/north_west_cambridgeshire(last visited: 3rd November, 2016).