Justice Adda in collaboration with TrustLaw and BMS College of Law is hosting a training workshop for law firms, independent lawyers and law students to discuss strategies and approaches for a sustainable pro bono practice in India on December 1, 2019 (Sunday) at BMS College of Law, Bull Temple Road, Basavanagudi, Bengaluru – 560019. The workshop is from 9.00 am to 12.30 pm.
What to expect?
1. What does a ‘pro bono practice’ at a law firm mean in the Indian legal landscape?
- What does ‘pro bono’ practice entail?
- Is it litigation, advisory, or transactional work, surveys and reports, research and development of law?
- Is pro bono a mandatory part of legal practitioners’ responsibility?
- What type of cases can a firm consider for pro bono?
2. What are the challenges faced by law firms in establishing and operating a dedicated pro bono practice?
- What are the evaluative criteria for a case to qualify as ‘pro bono’?
- How would a firm allocate resources without sinking the profitability tab?
- What are the conflict of interest issues that firms must resolve?
- How does legal privilege work in zero consideration scenarios?
3. How have the pro bono practices shaped at Indian law firms over the past decade?
Stories from Big Law, mid-sized law firms, small and boutique law firms.
4. What can we learn from the successful pro bono practices at global law firms?
Case studies from the West: Magic Circle firms and the most profitable firms as examples.
5. Financing Pro Bono Litigation Practices:
Is third party funding an adaptable and sustainable model?
This is an intensive, interactive and practice focussed, three hour event to encourage participants to engage in thoughtful discussions with peers on pressing contemporary issues under the broad theme. Participants will be divided into smaller activity groups of five members each, to ensure individualised attention and collaborative working. Each session will use case studies and comparative experiences of pro bono practice from around the world to ensure experiential learning for each participant.
What’s in it for you?
- Specially formulated templates to design your own pro bono strategy
- Succinct briefing note of the event
- Certificate of participation (on request)
- Possible research collaborations for an impulse paper of the proceedings
- Membership to our specially curated network of pro bono lawyers in India
- Electronic copy of the “Handbook on Designing Socially Responsible Law Firms in India (2018)” published by the Eastern Book Company
How to attend?
- This event is open to everyone! The maximum capacity is 50 – so hurry!!
- Please complete the google form here.
- Pay the one-time registration fee of 1,500 (Law firms/ Lawyers) or Rs. 500 (Students) through:
i. direct bank transfer OR
ii. transfer using Paytm or Google Pay, to our bank account: Account Name: JUSADD INNOVATION LAB LLP
- Account Number: 50200032738606
- IFSC: HDFC0000059
- Swift Code: HDFCINBB
Don’t forget to add your full name as a reference when you make the transfer!
- Online registration by 30 November 2019
- Workshop on 1 December 2019 (Sunday)
- Registration opens at 00 am on 1 December 2019