This article has been written by Ishaan Banerjee, Anindita Deb and updated by Stuti Agarwal. The article is an insight into the world of technology law and enumerates various law firms, from India and abroad, that are experienced in the domain and leading in the sector.
It has been published by Rachit Garg.
Table of Contents
Technology Law has been one of the most lucrative areas of law in the past few years, and it will gain importance and attention in the years to come. With the continuous evolution of science and technology, many new avenues for practising law have begun to come up. Be it artificial intelligence (AI), intellectual property, or data protection, all these areas will be lucrative in the coming years. Under technology law, there can be transactions involving entities from two different countries, which brings with it complex regulatory issues wherein the role of an experienced technology law lawyer kicks in. Not just that, deal negotiations, intellectual property issues, software development, software usage, and other transactional concerns between parties arise wherein technology law plays a role.
Evolution of Technology Law as a concept
With each and every passing day, there is a constant evolution in some or other technology across the world. Such an evolution means an increased number of regulations to regulate it. An increased number of regulations implies more and more transactions, which has the implicit factor of implying a greater number of disputes. This is where the evolution of ‘technology law’ as a concept emerges and takes shape. Technology law is a fast emerging area of law because of the volatile nature of science and technology. With the growth of science, the implications, complexities, and forms of technology law will keep on growing.
What exactly is Technology Law
As the term suggests, technology law is the law relating to the handling, usage, and transaction of technology between the creators/developers of technology and the users of such technology. It helps regulate the use and advancement of technology. Today, technology surrounds us and is present in almost every aspect of our lives. It is impossible to imagine our lives without the presence of technology. Therefore, technology law is something that is not confined to a particular area or region. It has implications across the globe, as technology knows no borders. Has an unknown person on social media obtained your pictures to which he did not have access? Has the patent for your new product been infringed by a competitor? Are your phone lines being tapped? Need to upgrade your office storage systems to an online format and need software therefor? Say hello to technology law. Thus, technology lawyers need to have a wide area of expertise, which may include many other different types of law like intellectual property rights, cyber law, information technology, artificial intelligence, and even environmental law. This is exactly why technology law will be a very lucrative area of practice because as technology evolves, the scope of technology law also expands.
In this article, we will explore the wide ambit and applicability of technology law, along with the top 20 law firms already engaged in technology law practice in India and abroad.
Career opportunities in Technology Law
Technology law is a fast emerging area, but it also demands a lot of skills from a lawyer. With an evolution in law, the skills and expertise of a lawyer also need an upgrade. A technology lawyer must have experience in handling tech issues along with skills like drafting software and hardware related contracts, policy making, strategising, risk assessment, etc. Industry expertise is a very crucial skill that should be possessed by a tech law expert, as knowledge of the industry and its workings helps to deal with legal issues therein in an efficient manner. A technology lawyer would also need to stay updated with the latest technological developments. A technology lawyer can work in:
- Technology contract drafting and negotiation: Handling the transactions in technology and documenting the same are the initial requirements from a lawyer who enters the field of Technology Law. When technology exchanges hands from its developer to the user thereof, the role of a legal drafter increases manifold as such a lawyer is required to capture the intentions of the parties and at the same time safeguarding the interests of their clients. A technology lawyer must know how to draft contracts like Software licensing agreements, Outsourcing agreements, Standard distributor licensing agreements Software Development Agreements, Service Level Agreements (SLA), Technology Transfer Agreements, Hardware Purchase Agreements, Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDA), Data Processing Agreements (DPA), Software as a Service (SaaS) Agreements, End-User License Agreements (EULA), Open Source License Agreements etc,., which are commonly used in technology companies. Not only this, he must know how to incorporate clauses and draft special contracts specific to the technology industry, along with negotiating deals.
- Managing Intellectual Property (IP) portfolio: The amalgamation of the IP laws with the technology law is an important field of practising and securing clientele for lawyers practising in the field of IP particularly. Understanding the aspects of IP which are required to be compiled to secure one’s invention and creation of technology to avoid its illegal usage by the competitors etc. is an important practice area. Technology lawyers must learn to manage their IP portfolio and update themselves with the IP laws of the countries from which the parties are involved in the transaction (if it is an international transaction), as they would have to ensure that the patented or patentable technology does not leak to competitors. Thus, they have to work fast to procure patents for the new technologies or software used by companies. They have to know how to mitigate the damage and defend clients from competitors’ suits regarding patents. They would also have to introduce policies to prevent unauthorized usage.
- Assessing and managing risks: Risk assessment and mitigation is an area that has been very crucial to the technology law sector. A lawyer must be smart enough to have an idea of the present and the potential risks to the company that is developing a particular kind of technology and to the user of such a technology. Identification of risks is one skill; preparing a company to deal with such risks is another. Not only this, but such lawyers must also be equipped to do risk mitigation in case the company actually gets exposed to such risks. He must have an idea about the future of the technology sector and must be cautious to defend the company from potential risks. He must keep up with the developments in technology law, be updated regarding governmental regulations, judicial pronouncements, and the policies of competitors, and know how to manage the risks arising from there.
- Policy making and implementation: Technology lawyers need to understand the policy making process in organizations like government bodies, companies, etc. In order to know about potential risks and avert them, policymaking is important, as it would provide certain guidelines for what the organization would do in a particular situation. Is your company being sued for infringement of data privacy? How would a technology lawyer deal with this? The next step of action is to be dictated by the policy.
- Litigation and dispute resolution: It is obvious that with evolving technology, the number of laws and disputes relating to it will increase with time. The top challenge with litigating technology related disputes would be explaining to the judge what exactly the technology is and how it works. This would enable the judge to understand the facts, circumstances, and reasons under which the dispute has occurred.
Now that you have an idea of the practice of technology law in India and abroad, let us now proceed to the list of the top technology law firms in India and abroad. Please note that this list is only suggestive and not a firm statement.
Top 20 technology law firms in India
- Highly rated as one of the best law firms in the country, Trilegal has established its dominance throughout the years of their work. It has a wide range of practice areas, including the areas of corporate law, competition law, international capital markets, real estate, etc.
- It was ranked as one of the top 10 most innovative law firms in APAC by FT- Asia-Pacific Innovative Lawyers and among the top 5 law firms in India by RSG India.
- It has one of the oldest technology law practices in the country and has deep experience working with companies across different sectors. They have also worked on policy formulation, which includes the data protection law. It has helped the Aeronautical Development Agency commercialize the technology software used for creating materials for aircraft fabrication, and Hewlett Packard structured their telecom system integration service.
- Their technology law team has been developed to have expertise in matters dealing with the intersection of technology, business, and law.
- They have been influential in various technology transactions, both offshore and local, and have expertise in advising their clients to protect their interests.
- They have their offices in Mumbai, Bengaluru, New Delhi and Gurugram.
- The firm is a leading law firm in the technology law sector, divided into two sets – ‘Information Technology Services’ and ‘Business Process Outsourcing’.
- The technology law leg of the firm has been involved in various global transactions in which they have played an important role in providing workable solutions to clients, capturing their interests, safeguarding them from competitors, etc.
- The technology team of this firm is highly reputed, which helps clients formulate strategies to get full use of their intellectual property rights and also helps in value assessments. They have good experience drafting technology and intellectual property rights related contracts. They have also worked on data protection.
- The firm has an impressive clientele, boasting the likes of eBay, Flipkart, Amazon, Visa, etc.
- They have their offices located in New Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, California, New York, Munich, and Singapore.
- It regularly finds its name among the top law firms in India, including in the technology, media, and telecom sectors. The firm has frequently instructed clients on regulatory and transactional projects, often across the world.
- They, in their own firm, have launched a cloud based, AI enabled bespoke e-learning platform branded CLEmentine recently. It will bring about a digital transformation in the learning management platform in the firm for a better learning experience, increasing the efficiency and proficiency of the associated lawyers.
- They have clients like Saavn, Wal-Mart, Whatsapp, Uber, Facebook Ireland, etc. They have also advised Newgen Software Technologies Limited.
- An example of a famed member of the team is Tejas Karia, who has been involved in Supreme Court cases regarding the provision of online content, which also included Facebook and WhatsApp as parties.
- They have their offices in Mumbai, New Delhi, Gurugram, Bengaluru, Ahmedabad, Kolkata and Chennai.
- L&L Partners practices in both conventional and non-conventional areas of law, with focus on building lasting client relationships and offering exceptional legal advice. The firm has advised many national and international clients, like Goldman Sachs, ICICI Bank, Yahoo, the Tata Group, and others.
- They recently assisted K2 Partnering Solutions, a global player engaged in providing consultative technology solutions, in acquisition of Openlogix, a US based technology consulting firm.
- The firm has a wide practice area, including but not limited to TMT (technology, media, and telecom), dispute resolution, pro bono work, mining, oil and gas, etc.
- The technology practice is known for joint venture work. The firm recently assisted ANI Technologies with its licensing agreements for the ‘OLA Play’ feature.
- They have their offices in Mumbai, New Delhi, Hyderabad, and Bengaluru.
- The firm specializes in structuring transactions in the technology sector in India. They also advise on regulatory and commercial contracting matters, along with representing clients before the relevant authorities.
- The firm applies cross-disciplinary knowledge and experience to help its technology advisory clients predict and plan for any regulatory or other changes in the environment they are operating in.
- They have helped media, telecom, and technology companies in and out throughout their business lifecycle, from ideation to the implementation stage.
- It has a diverse clientele across diverse service sectors such as online and offline gambling, IT, mobile and fixed line telecom operators, outsourcing, etc.
- They have their offices in New Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Chennai, Ahmedabad, Chennai and Singapore.
- The firm started its Technology, Media and Telecommunication practice in 1999 and since then has been representing a number of international and blue-chip companies doing business in India.
- Kochhar & Co. has both national and international offices in Dubai, Atlanta, and Jeddah. The firm has hardcore expertise in cloud computing, data privacy, e- commerce. They have also helped the telecom sector with bandwidth structuring and VoIP implementation.
- The TMT team has had some amazing victories over the past few years. It assisted the Alibaba Group in setting up a cloud computing system, advised Akamai on cloud computing and data privacy, and has been involved in assisting the clients in the use of satellite technology as well.
- They have assisted technology companies in setting their payment gateways in India, handling their IT, media, and broadcasting spaces, restructuring the organizational structure, data privacy, et al.
- Mr. Stephen Mathias, the head of the TMT department, is especially known for his specialization in technology related matters such as IT outsourcing, data privacy, and cloud computing. The other team members include Suhas Srinivasiah, Savitha Kesav Jagadeesan, Indrani Lahiri, and others.
- They have their India offices situated in New Delhi, Mumbai, Chandigarh, Chennai, Bengaluru, Hyderabad and Gurugram and international offices situated in Chicago, Dubai and Singapore.
- The firm has a well reputed technology law practice and has been instrumental in some major transactions in the Technology, Media and Telecommunications sectors. They advised Bharti Airtel on transactions and also helped Google set up its mobile payment service in India.
- This is one of the big law firms in India, and it has expertise in issues such as net neutrality, IoT (Internet of Things), etc. and advises clients, both international and domestic, across a wide range of sectors such as healthcare, food technology, gaming, education, AI, etc.
- It has often been involved in the Telecom sector, drafting commercial contracts and advising them on compliance and regulatory issues.
- Their recent clientele includes Reliance Industries, Jio Platforms, Asian Development Bank, and Coinbase.
- They have their offices in New Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Chennai and Bengaluru.
- Srinath Dasari in the Bengaluru office of the firm have been key persons handling the tech law sector of the firm.
- The firm offers outstanding practice in a range of areas, including some major players in the technology sector, including television networks, entertainment companies, film and television production houses, music production, distribution and promotion companies, video game developers, etc. It has an impressive clientele among blue chip IT and telecom corporations.
- The firm is respected for its quality of service and has frequently received great feedback from its clients.
- Recently, the firm was involved in assisting with the fundraising round of a technology start-up company, formed by IIT Bombay and IIT Delhi alumni, known as Solarad. The team that was instrumental in the transaction included Mr. Kartik Jain, Partner; Mr. Debottam Chattopadhyay, Senior Associate; and Ms. Alisha Chawla, Company Secretary.
- They have their offices situated in New Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, Chennai, Ahmedabad, Gurugram and Hyderabad.
- Some legal stalwarts include: Sajai Singh, Partner in the Bengaluru office who is a highly experienced member of the firm with complex technology related matters.
- It is a full service law firm based in Mumbai. The technology industry boom has helped the firm build its capacity in recent years. It has advised on matters such as gaming, music and entertainment, sports, advertising, etc.
- The firm especially has great experience in the film and entertainment industry as it has to deal with clients that include major production houses, including Hollywood studios, Indian Broadcasting Federation, Producers Guild, and the IFTPC (Indian Film and TV Producers Council) on relevant issues.
- The rapidly evolving data technology subject has been extensively mastered by the firm by providing legal representation to protect its clients from cyber crimes and other digital crimes. Drafting software development and licensing agreements, dealing with data and systems security issues, providing legal advice to technology companies, etc. have been major practice areas of the firm in technology law.
- The multidisciplinary team is recognised for their work in various industries like biotechnology, e-commerce, m-commerce. The firm has a speciality in identifying new material for patents and copyrights that will play a huge role in the generations to come.
- The firm’s clients include startups, technology developers, and consultants; all of them are using technology to develop their businesses and need some help to fully utilize their technologies.
- The major work in technology law involves technology transactions, data governance, fintech and payments, advisory to digital businesses, and dealing in tech disputes.
- Their office is situated across India in New Delhi, Mumbai, Pune, Bengaluru and Hyderabad.
- The eminent and learned team includes some of the pioneers in the sector, namely Rishi Anand, Siddharth Suresh, and Nakul Batra, Partners of the technology team in the Delhi office.
- The firm frequently advises investors and technology companies on transactional and regulatory matters.
- The technology practice advises on commerce, cloud based delivery of software, drafting and negotiating contracts, privacy and data protection, regulatory framework relating to the ownership and provision of online goods and services, etc.
- Their office is situated in New Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Hyderabad and Bengaluru.
- The team members to look for include Avimukt Dar, Founding Partner in the Delhi office; Namita Viswanath, Partner in the Bengaluru office; Ranjana Adhikari, Partner in the Mumbai office, amongst others.
- This firm advises a lot on regulatory, policy, and compliance issues in telecom related matters, having clients that include major software and media companies. The firm has become adept at advising on data and connection services.
- The firm has experience in advisory services on IT issues, outsourcing of technology, data protection, and joint ventures on tech issues.
- Media companies have also approached this firm for drafting and negotiating broadcasting and endorsement contracts, along with arranging joint ventures between these companies.
- Key contacts in the firm for technology, media, and telecommunications related matters are Harsh Walia, Partner in the New Delhi office; Abhinav Chandan, Partner in the New Delhi office; and Tanu Banerjee, Partner in the Mumbai office, amongst others.
- They have their offices in New Delhi, Gurugram, Mumbai, NOIDA, Chennai, Bengaluru, Kolkata and Singapore.
Mani Chengappa & Mathur
- This is a boutique law firm, based in Bengaluru, that is fast emerging as one of the major competitors in technology law. It specializes in technology startups and investors, IT outsourcing, data protection, software licensing, etc.
- The interface of technology and law has been mastered by the firm, which helps them grow their clientele in technology transactions, both domestic and international.
- Clients have praised the firm as being very ‘solution driven’ and having an in-depth understanding of business needs and interests.
- The firm recently advised Punjab and Maharashtra Co-operative Bank on the licensing and service contracts for its technology suite.
- Samuel Mani, the Founding Partner of the firm, specializes in advising clients on technology and outsourcing transactions, including other ancillary and incidental issues thereto.
- This Delhi based firm is relatively new, having been set up in 2016, but it has since, built up a reputable practice. This firm is led by Salman Waris and has some very impressive clients.
- The firm has dealt with clients like Voxbone, which is a Belgian company involved in providing IP communication services; Quintiles IMS Holdings, which is an American health company; ZTE, etc.
- The technology, media, and telecommunications team of the firm has been representing clients regarding complex technology transactions and outsourcing their requirements in areas such as procurement, manufacturing, logistics, network, and software support. They have a niche in the transactions involved between technology companies, like mergers and acquisitions, financing, data processing, negotiations, joint ventures, etc.
- This will be one of the topmost and most sought after law firms in the technology sector in the coming years. Based out of New Delhi, this firm has already been sought out by clients who seek advice on unexplored areas like drones and aerospace. The firm also has experience in cryptocurrencies and digital assets, among many others.
- The firm advised four digital asset exchanges before the Supreme Court, challenging the Indian Central Bank directive to cancel digital asset access to banking services.
- The firm also advised a leading social media company on its policies for dealing with fake news. It also assisted Dvara Research in drafting and submitting a draft of the Data Protection Bill to Justice B.N. Srikrishna Committee.
- The firm has won various awards like being recognized by The Legal500 as a Tier 2 law firm for its technology, media, and telecommunications practice in 2022. It got featured in the India Business Law Journal in 2022 as the leading law firm for data compliance, cyber security, fintech, technology, communications, etc.
- The wide and diverse range of the firm’s clients includes CoinDCX, Cred, Drone Federation of India, Microsoft, MobiKwik, Sequoia, etc.
- Founded in 2006, it has offices in New Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru, and Kochi. This firm has been working with eight banks on matters like AI, data protection, blockchain, and regulation.
- They have been advising a wide range of companies of varied types, like start-ups, mid-sized corporations, and giants of the industry.
- They claim their expertise in a diverse range of disciplines involving multi-dimensional and growing technological issues like blockchain, AI, crypto-currencies, cyber security, fintech, etc.
- International clients include leading international law firms such as Dentons and Sheppard Mullin. The clients have given great feedback, with some emphasizing their expertise in cyber law and their inquisitiveness about being updated on technology.
- The firm has been recognized as the Best Technology Law Practice firm by Indian Business Law Journal for two consecutive years, 2019 and 2020. They have also been recognized by Chambers & Partners and the Legal 500.
Fox and Mandal
- This is a leading law firm with pan India presence, having offices in New Delhi, Bangalore, Ahmedabad, Pune, Mumbai, Hyderabad, Kolkata, and Chennai.
- The firm is known for its innovation and expertise in applying legal principles to emerging technology law issues and transactions arising in the cyber world. They have a good grasp of IT and other related laws, cloud computing, SAAS agreements, etc.
- They are known to advise their clients in matters related to AI, cyber security, fintech, digital e-commerce, privacy, and data protection. They are also one of the few firms in India that practices space law.
- It has been recognized by Chambers & Partners in the Asia – Pacific 2023 leading firms list released by them.
Majmudar & Partners
- Recognised for undertaking transactional work for technology companies like outsourcing, acquisition of IP aspects, and M&A. Also advises on cloud computing matters, data protection, and AI.
- The firm is famed for giving practical advice and is known to be very reliable.
- The firm recently advised Kwench Global Technologies on data protection, reviewing privacy policies in compliance with GDPR and data protection compliances.
- The firm has recently advised on the transactions involving Thrasio Holdings in their high value acquisition of a majority stake in Lifelong Online Retail Private Limited, Finicity Corporation in its sale to Mastercard, NFT Studio in assessing regulatory environment for NFT businesses in India, and many more significant technology law transactions.
- Their Managing Partner, Akil Hirani, is the flag bearer and face of the team working on technology law transactions.
- Their offices are located in Kolkata, Mumbai and New Delhi.
- Established in 2003, HSA focuses on constant adaptation and client centric approach to legal advisory.
- The firm specializes in transaction structuring, drafting, negotiating, advisory, and other support and solutions required by clients across sectors.
- Jivesh Chandrayan is one of the key contacts for technology, media, and telecommunication transactions.
- Their offices are located in New Delhi, Mumbai, Bengaluru and Kolkata.
- Based out of Bengaluru, the firm has handled corporate, transactional, regulatory, and service agreements and policies and also advises on cybersecurity and data protection.
- The firm is involved in assisting clients in the areas of software development, licensing resale, cloud services, including SaaS / PaaS / IaaS methods of software delivery, IT outsourcing, etc.
- They have been involved in advising Manthan Software Services on the implications of GDPR on its contracts from an Indian market perspective.
Leading global technology law firms
Fish & Richardson P.C.
- At Fish & Richardson, intellectual property is paramount; the firm focuses on IP litigation and counselling, as well as post-grant matters, although the list of sectors it services reflects its diversity.
- They have clients in a variety of industries, including biotechnology, energy, clean technology, consumer products, financial services, aerospace and defense, new media, manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, and telecommunications.
- With around 14 offices across the US, Germany, and China, they have an amazing team of lawyers who strive to achieve excellence in every phase of the issues dealt with by them.
- Cooley is the go-to firm for startups and early-stage enterprises, and it’s great for individuals looking to work on cutting-edge projects with forward-thinking clients. The firm has a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion, as well as a very sociable culture that will no doubt appeal to affable personalities.
- They combine elements of IP practice with commercial transactions, making it a diversified advisory for clients, giving them holistic experience with their issues and transactions.
- Cooley is identified with technology and venture capital work, with over 1,200 lawyers working across the United States, Europe, and Asia. The firm’s cleantech, cyber/data/privacy, IP, M&A, private equity, and securities practices are also well-regarded.
- Recently, they advised Instacart on their $660 million IPO.
Kirkland & Ellis
- Kirkland & Ellis is the ideal firm for self-starters who are ready to take control of their legal careers, both in terms of size and reputation.
- They represent clients ranging from Fortune 100 companies to middle-market companies to growth stage businesses.
- Kirkland & Ellis is a global legal company that specializes in corporate, intellectual property, litigation, Mergers and Acquisitions, private equity, and restructuring. The firm is consistently ranked as one of the most successful in the world, with over 2,900 lawyers.
Morrison & Foerster LLP
- At MoFo, excellent work is expected, with the firm specializing in a variety of practice areas, including intellectual property and privacy, and being a standout in the pro bono community, assisting in a variety of situations.
- MoFo’s experience in IP, finance, life sciences, technology, and litigation is complemented by a global reach that spans the Pacific Rim and, more recently, Europe.
- The clientele at the firm ranges from emerging innovation drivers to iconic brands in the technology sector.
- The key contacts include Erin M. Bosman, Partner; Tessa J. Schwartz, Partner; and Marian A. Waldmann Agarwal, Partner, amongst the others in their talented team.
- With a rock solid experience spanning more than six decades, Wilson Sonsini is a go-to firm for customers in the tech industry, a pioneer in venture capital work, and a top-ranked firm for intellectual property.
- The firm’s lawyers have an entrepreneurial mindset and strike a good balance between hard work and friendliness.
- Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati is a worldwide player with extensive tech roots, with 950 attorneys spread over 16 offices around the world. The firm has established itself as a market leader in technology licensing, technological financing, M&A, and intellectual property.
- The lawyers at Wilson Sonsini have been recognized as leaders in their field by Chambers USA, Chambers Global, and the Legal 500 (US).
- The firm has gained reputation with clients by achieving successful advisory roles in the tech sectors, including fintech, IoT, AI, 3D printing, e-commerce, edutech, and many more.
- Recently, they have advised JURA Bio on their $16.1 million financing and replay collaboration.
- To work with its inventive client base, handling global legal issues, Fenwick works for tech-oriented, entrepreneurial type clients and thrives to build a team that lives on autonomy and flexibility. Associates who go above and beyond are rewarded here, with trips to the tropics being a common occurrence.
- Fenwick has almost 500 attorneys spread across seven offices and is noted for its innovative work with technology and life sciences clients.
- The firm has been guiding clients through industry shaping transactions across various sectors, including digital media, fintech, AI and machine learning, blockchain and cryptocurrency, consumer technologies, healthtech, space, and aerotech, et al.
- With three successful offices in California, an established office in Seattle, a fast-growing office in New York, an international office in China, and a newly opened office in Washington, DC, the firm has expanded beyond its Silicon Valley beginnings.
Orrick Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
- The firm has acquired a niche in the Technology & Innovation, Energy & Infrastructure sectors globally.
- They have been recently awarded with “Legal Advisory of the Year 2023” in the Wind Investment Awards.
- They believe in transforming traditional approaches to the practice of law and aim to innovate the ways in which they can advise their clients. They have also been recognized as the most Innovative Law Firm in North America.
- The work culture at the firm has been one of the best, as they have been named on the Fortune 100 Best Place to Work list for the 8th time in a row.
Gibson Dunn & Crutcher
- The team at Morgan Lewis is known to provide quality advice on legal issues across disciplines, including litigation, corporate, labour, and IP, across sectors and regions all over the world.
- They have been recognized as the leading innovative set of lawyers in the US and other countries for their work on complex tech issues. They are known to provide an integrated and timely solution to each and every issue arising across the phases of a particular transaction.
- The key contacts include Barbara Murphy Melby, Partner (Philadelphia / New York), Doneld G. Shelkey, Partner (Boston / Pittsburgh), Mike Pierides, Partner (London), Ksenia Andreeva, Partner (Dubai), Rahul Kapoor, Partner (Silicon Valley / San Francisco), and Anastasia Dergacheva, Partner (Dubai), amongst others.
- A global firm that is involved in advising top tech companies across the globe has extensive reach across four continents. Their main offices are situated in New York, London, and Hong Kong.
- Their ‘one-firm’ culture ensures that the clients receive the best of their experience in the various practice areas.
- Jon Van Gorp, Chair of the firm, has been consistently ranked as an outstanding lawyer by Chambers USA, Chambers Global, Legal 500, and IFLR 1000 each year since he has held the position of Partner.
- The firm has been certified by Thomson Reuters as the No. 1 law firm brand for 12 years.
- They have more than 70 global offices with a team of around 13,000 people.
- The firm has also launched AI collaboration with SparkBeyond to reimagine the legal industry.
- They have been regarded as the top 3 for number of lawyer rankings (around 392 lawyer rankings) achieved as per the list released by Chambers.
Bird & Bird LLP
- Clients at this firm benefit from their decade old experience and understanding of the subject. They have been instrumental in various technology deals, including technology transfers, strategic alliances, joint ventures, etc.
- The tech transactions team includes Dr. Fabian Niemann, Partner (Germany), Mark Leach, Partner (UK), and Roger Bickerstaff, Partner (UK), amongst others.
- With a rich history of experience in tech law, Bristows LLP has been at the forefront of big transactions related to technology law and other disciplines.
- They have represented some of the big names in the sector and have advised them in various matters. The firm has helped all types of clients, whether it be technology creators, technology transformers, or technology disruptors; they have experience across all facets of technology law.
Sidley Austin LLP
- Sidley is a law firm possessing a rich history of advising world’s leading technology companies. Their forte is to have a tailor made advising approach to the clients by applying new age solutions.
- They have secured a ‘First-Tier National Ranking in Technology Law’ in 2023.
- They have represented Accelera by Cummins in its joint venture to advance battery cell productions in the U.S.
- The Linklaters is known for their relentless and individualistic approach to client service and for maintaining long lasting relationships.
- Their technology law specialists have market leading experience and expertise in providing commercial and innovative support to all clients. They have strong experience in sectors involving technology law, media law, energy law, etc.
- They have been instrumental in their role as legal advisors in various multi-jurisdictional transactions, defying the regulatory challenges arising therefrom.
- The firm has been awarded the M&A Advisor’s Law Firm of the Year and Restructuring Deal of the Year, among other awards, in 2023.
- Some of the key people in the team who deal in technology law matters majorly include Ieuan Jolly, Partner and Chair of U.S. TMT & Data Solutions practice; Adrian Fisher, Partner, Asia Head of TMT; and Sonia Cisse, Partner, TMT / IP, amongst others.
Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP
- The firm is a global technology powerhouse and represents leading tech companies globally. Their diverse team has helped the firm achieve expertise in the technology law domain by covering national and international deals from their New York, Palo Alto, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., Houston, Hong Kong, Beijing, Tokyo, Sao Paulo, and London offices.
- Since 2018, the firm has achieved over $400 billion in transaction value on over 270 capital markets representations across the tech industry. They have also achieved over $1 trillion in transaction value on more than 290 M&A matters across the tech industry since 2018.
- Overall, they have been involved in some significant and high-profile tech matters recently.
- They have been influential in some mega tech transactions, including Microsoft’s acquisition of ZeniMax Media, K2M’s acquisition of Stryker Corporation, and Apple’s largest corporate debt offering in history, amongst the other big deals.
- The team dealing in tech law at the firm holds prior industry experience as engineers, programmers, and scientists, along with a financial background as well.
- They counsel clients on various tech law transactions and other transactions involving issues in the entertainment and media sectors.
- The key contacts at the firm for tech law include William T. Russell, Partner (Washington D.C.), and James E. Nelson, Partner (San Francisco), amongst others in their illustrious team.
Wilmer Cutler Pickering Hale and Dorr
- The team at the firm understands legal, business, and policy issues affecting the prevailing and evolving technology and the impact it leaves on clients.
- They achieve outstanding results through a collaborative approach across various disciplines.
- The key contacts include Mick Bain, Partner, Jamie Gorelick, Partner, and Mark D. Selwyn, Partner, amongst others.
Reed Smith LLP
- Their belief in building a diverse team has helped them create a strong clientele.
- In the entertainment and media space, they have a century of experience and have since been advising clients on various evolving issues in the industry. They have never stopped learning and thriving.
- They have represented BT and EE in the Supreme Court appeal relating to court ordered blocking by ISPs of sites infringing intellectual property.
- They have also advised Microsoft on the UK aspects of its $7.5 billion deal to purchase Nokia’s devices and services business.
- Gregor Pryor, the Managing Partner, Europe and the Middle East region, is the key contact person of the team.
- The firm has an established TMT practice and has been tapping the opportunities created by rapidly changing technology across the world.
- The team has been experienced in technology law issues and, thus, has been helping the clients efficiently, helping them to capitalize on and protect the use of new and emerging technologies.
- It has received top tier rankings across 54 practice areas in the 2023 edition of Chambers USA. Their technology law practice has been recognized in the category ‘Additional Practices Recognized”.
- Six of their lawyers have earned recognition in the Eminent Practitioner, Star Individual, or Senior Statespeople categories.
Technology law is a dynamic and evolving field with a wide range of career opportunities. As technology continues to advance, the demand for skilled technology lawyers is expected to grow. Professionals in this field can pursue careers in technology contract drafting and negotiation, managing intellectual property portfolios, risk assessment and management, policy-making and implementation, as well as litigation and dispute resolution.
To excel in technology law, lawyers must possess a diverse skill set, including legal expertise in areas such as intellectual property, cyber law, information technology, and environmental law. Staying updated with the latest technological developments is crucial, as it helps lawyers adapt to the ever-changing legal landscape.
The top technology law firms in India and abroad provide valuable services to clients in need of legal guidance in the tech sector. While this list is suggestive, it showcases the prominent players in the field, and aspiring technology lawyers can explore opportunities with these firms to build a rewarding career in technology law.
Students of Lawsikho courses regularly produce writing assignments and work on practical exercises as a part of their coursework and develop themselves in real-life practical skills.
LawSikho has created a telegram group for exchanging legal knowledge, referrals, and various opportunities. You can click on this link and join: