This article has been written by Sadhana A. pursuing Certificate Course in Strategic HR for Startups and Emerging Industries and edited by Shashwat Kaushik. This article is a study on the role of targeted learning in talent development.
Table of Contents
What is talent development
Talent development is improving and upgrading the employee’s skills and proficiency to generate the proper goal or plan for personal development. Talent development is also important to organisations strategic planning for new recruitment and helps recruit highly knowledgeable employees. Nowadays, employees are also searching for a job where they can learn and develop their skills. The organisation trains programmers to choose the right candidates for the right training. Identity skill gap and help give the proper development pattern to the employees to achieve the organisation’s goal. Analysing the needs and essential configuration training. Targeted learning will be the method of increasing the employee’s working abilities and production.
Through targeted learning, employees will better understand their roles and responsibilities. Talent development is a two-way process between employees and the organisation. To develop learning, make employees professional and give leadership qualities for self-esteem.
Still, current organisations don’t have a talent development programme. The organisation won’t have the proper data or method to arrange the development learning programme. The employee has not been satisfied and has not completed daily routine responsibilities. The organisation will be investing in a learning programme that doesn’t have a proper format.
The organisation finds out what kind of skill training is required when employees do not meet their tasks. Identify the current skill situation of the employees and the ideal skill set based on the conduct of the training. The skill gap survey identified the type of training to provide in the long and short term. The skills gap survey recognises individuals with different backgrounds, capabilities and certain conditions.
Design the training topic in a very simple way to understand every employee and make it easy to implement in the job role. to make the necessary arrangements to smoothly go through the training session. Accordingly, design the training in such a way as to meet the employee’s and organization’s goals completely. The trainer is also supportive and a motivator to make employees and the organisation grow, and vice versa. If the training session is comfortable for the employee’s location-wise, mainly related material, take the feedback of the same accordingly.
Importance of talent development
The importance of telent development is explained below:
Motivate the employee
Talent development motivates employees to concentrate on their work and increase their production skills. They can request to upgrade the knowledge and tools to motivate employees to put in their new efforts, do the work and be satisfied.
Motivated employees build their confidence level and approach senior management to give them additional responsibility or authority to do the new role. Also, based learning development generates trust between organisations and opens up new opportunities for self-growth. Employees give guidance related to the job role’s technique.
The employees can participate and show the output in minimum time or in other ways to create their own afford to improve the system or method of working. They manage the skill and use the tool to increase and improve the ability with productivity.
When doing multiple sets of sessions, the employees can complete the task faster and develop time management skills. This training also shows the current status of existing employees. Based on that, the employee and organisation are both growing and making profits. The training session makes an employee more efficient and upgrades their learning skills.
Help to retain employees
The employee gets motivated, which makes them feel satisfied with the organisation. They feel that learning or updating the skill makes the job easier. Also, new hires understand the process and existing employees improve the speed of work done.
To keep an employee in the organisation long term save on recruitment costs and time. The employees become self-motivated so they consume or utilise the time. Learning session changes the desires of the employee’s attitude and makes confident behaviour. Targeted learning enabled the employees to meet their goals and achieve visible organisational performance. Handle the challenge of the job individually and be excited to learn new skills.
Take the feedback from the employee based on that evaluation. To conduct the programme. The feedback also helps the organisation understand the employee’s skill needs and the organisation’s growth hindrances. To recognise employee growth towards job responsibility and boost employees’ engagement. While you measure the employee’s effectiveness and new learning ability. Overall, the organisation also set goals and reached higher levels of employee growth.
Role of targeted learning in talent development
Targeted learning plays a crucial role in talent development by providing a structured and focused approach to help individuals acquire the skills, knowledge, and competencies necessary to excel in their careers. Here’s how targeted learning contributes to talent development:
- Customisation: Targeted learning allows organisations to tailor training and development programmes to the specific needs and goals of each employee. This personalisation ensures that individuals receive the resources and support they require to maximise their potential.
- Efficiency: Instead of generic training programmes, targeted learning focuses on the most relevant and essential skills for a particular role or career path. This efficiency saves time and resources, allowing employees to develop expertise more quickly.
- Skill enhancement: Talent development through targeted learning helps employees build and enhance critical skills directly related to their job roles. This can include technical skills, soft skills, leadership abilities, and industry-specific knowledge.
- Career progression: By aligning learning initiatives with career paths, targeted learning helps employees prepare for advancement within the organisation. This can involve the development of leadership skills, project management abilities, and other competencies necessary for higher-level roles.
- Retention and engagement: Employees who receive targeted learning opportunities are more likely to feel engaged and valued by their organisations. This can lead to increased job satisfaction and higher retention rates, reducing turnover costs.
- Competitive advantage: Organisations that invest in targeted learning gain a competitive advantage in the marketplace. Well-trained employees are better equipped to adapt to industry changes, drive innovation, and deliver exceptional performance.
- Adaptability: In rapidly changing industries, talent development through targeted learning helps employees stay up-to-date with the latest trends, technologies, and best practices. This adaptability is crucial for long-term success.
- Metrics and Evaluation: Targeted learning allows organisations to measure the effectiveness of their talent development more accurately. By assessing specific competencies and skills, they can track progress and make data-driven decisions for improvement.
The study said that targeted learning always keeps employees more efficient and confident. Make them self-motivated to represent their related job skills in different ways. The purpose of the learning session is to boost productivity and knowledge. Targeted Learning sessions strengthen the bond between employees and the organisation. The employee feels comfortable and honest with the employer. To take the initiative to take on more responsibility and build career growth. While often employees improve their listening skills. Also, create a comfortable environment for new hires to learn new job responsibilities and introduce a new work culture.
- https://gloat.com/blog/talent-development/ www.researchgate.net/publication/282658267_LEARNING_AND_TALENT_DEVELOPMENT_A_REVIEW_IN_CONTEXT