This article has been written by Amulya Bhatia and has been published by Diva Rai.
You want to purchase a new pair of jeans for yourself so you go to the mall. You step into the first store that you see and buy the first pair of jeans that comes into sight. When you go home and try the jeans, you realize that the fit, style, or color doesn’t suit you at all.
Now tell me, is it wise to purchase a piece of clothing so callously? This shows the importance of analyzing all options and aspects before making any decision, even if it is concerning something as simple and trivial as buying clothes.
What about the big decisions which have a direct bearing on your future? For example, decisions as confusing as choosing the right university to pursue LLM from. There’s nothing to worry about though. We got you!
This article lists down the top 20 universities for LLM in the United Kingdom to make the exhausting task of choosing a university a little easier for you.
But hold on, before deciding the kind of jeans you want, you have to choose where to buy these jeans from, right? Whether it is Zara, H&M, or Forever 21? Similarly, before learning about the best universities for LLM in the UK, it is important to question why choose UK at all?
Pursuing LLM abroad has the power to boost your career and take it to the next level due to benefits like obtaining a specialized degree, obtaining practical experience abroad, growing your international network, an opportunity to trail a career in academia, and studying from a globally recognized university. These reasons make it all the more important to decide where to do LLM from.
The United Kingdom is a popular destination for LLM aspirants who wish to study at some of the oldest and most prestigious universities in the world. Some of the world’s largest and most well-known law firms are based in the UK, such as Clifford Chance LPP and DLA Piper, providing a massive potential to law students to gain work experience or maybe even get placed at these firms. The range of legal programs offered by these top universities can excite you and leave you flabbergasted at the same time! But, we are here to help you.
Here’s a list of the top 20 universities to pursue LLM from in the UK:
1. University of Cambridge
The University of Cambridge is one of the oldest and most reputed universities in the whole world. The Faculty of law is considered to be top-notch and is highly regarded. The school offers an LL.M. as well as a Master in Corporate Law (MCL).
- The cost to pursue an LLM from the University of Cambridge ranges from Rs. 35,00,000- 50,00,000.
2. University of Oxford
This University also has a long history which makes it all the more distinguished. The university continues to remain a thriving community of scholars who are dedicated to forming a fruitful community of academics. The school has been listed as the top school in International Tax Law and Finance Law by LLM GUIDE.
- The cost to pursue an LLM from the University of Oxford ranges from Rs. 30,00,000 to 40,00,000 annually.
3. The London School of Economics and Political Science
On top of the charts for academics, the Department of Law at this university is one of the largest and esteemed in the world.
London School of Economics and Political Science offers to LLM aspirants specialization in:
- in Human Rights Law,
- Intellectual Property Law, and
- European Law,
while being the leading law school for International Tax Law, Competition Law, and Banking/ Finance/Securities Law.
- The cost to pursue an LLM from The London School of Economics and Political Science from Rs. 23,00,000 to 40,00,000.
4. University College London
The University is research-oriented with diverse researchers, professors, students, alumni, and leading academics. Law at UCL is ranked number 3 in the UK by the Times Good University Guide 2022.
- The cost to pursue an LLM from the University College, London ranges from Rs. 25,00,000 to 40,00,000.
5. Queen Mary University of London
Queen Mary University is an established university situated in London. With one of the best programs for law in the world, the university offers students the freedom to create their customized degrees by offering a wide range of LLM modules.
- The cost to pursue an LLM from the Queen Mary University of London ranges from Rs. 25,00,000 to 45,00,000.
6. King’s College London
The Dickson Poon School of Law is the law school of King’s College London. The University has consistently maintained a position in the top 10 universities for law and is recognized globally as UK’s premier law school. If law school isn’t just about academics for you, this university is your go-to. They have a proactive student community engaged in pro bono and mooting activities alongside their core studies.
- The cost to pursue an LLM from the University of Oxford ranges from Rs. 26,00,000 to 40,00,000.
7. University of Edinburgh – Edinburgh Law School
University of Edinburgh is one of the oldest universities in the UK. Edinburgh Law School is the department of law under this university. The law school is research-oriented and is dedicated to teaching law. Joining Edinburgh Law School is your chance to join a thriving community of researchers and legal professionals who are the best in the world.
- The cost of studying LLM from the University of Oxford ranges from Rs. 24,00,000 to 30,00,000.
8. University of Durham – Durham Law School
Durham Law School is a world leader in legal education and research. They are research-oriented and have engaged through their research both nationally and internationally. The law school has produced good results in both, providing the students a wide range of electives to choose from, and executing a good employment rate.
- The cost of studying LLM from the University of Oxford ranges from Rs. 22,00,000 to 28,00,000.
9. University of Nottingham – School of Law
The School of Law at the University of Nottingham has one of the country’s top legal research centers. The school offers a wide range of LLM programs that cover:
- Human Rights Law,
- Maritime Law,
- Public International Law, and more.
- The cost of studying an LLM from the University of Oxford ranges from Rs. 20,00,000 to 25,00,000.
10. University of Bristol – School of Law
Bristol was named as the best place to live in the UK which makes it an even better place for a student. Whether it is international-level research or social life, this university has it all. The law school finds itself in the top 10 and offers many LL.M. programs, ranging from Commercial Law to European Legal Studies.
- The cost to pursue an LLM from the University of Oxford ranges from Rs. 18,00,000 to 23,00,000.
11. University of Aberdeen – School of Law
The University other than being in the top 10 in the UK, has a student satisfaction rate of 94%. They offer an extensive range of courses to specialize in with a very supportive environment. The School of Law takes pride in focusing on issues in contemporary times from a legal lens.
- The cost to pursue an LLM from the University of Oxford ranges from Rs. 18,00,000 to 25,00,000.
12. Swansea University – Hillary Rodham Clinton School of Law
The law school holds several accolades for having the best research centers with an international reputation. As a student of the Hillary Rodham Clinton School of Law, you shall be trained to fight for a place in the cut-throat legal world.
- The cost to pursue an LLM from the University of Oxford ranges from Rs. 17,00,000 to 21,00,000.
13. Cardiff University – Cardiff Law School
Cardiff Law School, located at the heart of Wales’, is well-known for its socio-legal research and high level of teaching. The law school offers a wide range of courses for LLM aspirants.
- The cost to pursue an LLM from the University of Oxford ranges from Rs. 25,00,000 to 30,00,000.
14. University of Glasgow – School of Law
The LLM program is a year-long at the University of Glasgow with an annual intake in September. The law school offers different specializations in the field of corporate law, and also allows the students to choose their electives and create a program of their choice in this field.
- The cost to pursue an LLM from the University of Oxford ranges from Rs. 13,00,000 to 18,00,000.
15. University of Kent – Kent Law School
Kent Law School pays special emphasis to the skills of negotiating and mooting and allows the student to gain practical knowledge through pro bono cases by Kent Law Clinic. The university is also in the top 10 in the world for its research intensity.
- The cost to pursue an LLM from the University of Oxford ranges from Rs. 17,00,000 to 24,00,000.
16. SOAS University of London
The Law department at SOAS University of London is meant for students that wish to make a difference as the programs focus on how law can positively impact society. The SOAS alumni include lawyers, judges, politicians, businessmen/women, and activists throughout the world.
The University offers specialization in:
- Environmental Law,
- Human Rights Law,
- International Commercial Law and
- Economic Law.
- The cost to pursue an LLM from the University of Oxford ranges from Rs. 23,00,000 to 30,00,000.
17. University of Birmingham – School of Law
World-class teaching, a wide range of legal programs, and an opportunity to push your legal career on the right track is what studying at this law school would look like.
Birmingham offers specialization in:
- Commercial Law,
- Criminal Law,
- International Commercial Law,
- International Law and Globalisation,
- International Law: Crime,
- Justice and Human Rights; and
- International Trade Law.
- However, there is flexibility to create a customized degree based on your interests.
- The cost to pursue an LLM from the University of Oxford ranges from Rs. 20,00,000 to 28,00,000.
18. University of Manchester – School of Law
The law school at the University of Manchester is globally recognized. Through this degree, you can enter the legal profession as a barrister through an award recognized by the Bar Standards Board or take the first steps to qualification as a solicitor through our collaboration with BARBRI to prepare you for the Solicitors Qualifying Exam after graduation.
- The cost to pursue an LLM from the University of Oxford ranges from Rs. 24,00,000 to 30,00,000.
19. University of Strathclyde – The Law School
The University of Strathclyde is the second-oldest university in the United Kingdom. The law program at the university is research-based, focused on how the law must change along with changing times. Human rights, criminal justice, and internet law are some of the programs available for LLM aspirants to pursue here.
- The cost to pursue an LLM from the University of Oxford ranges from Rs. 18,00,000 to 25,00,000.
20. University of Dundee
The law school in the university doesn’t focus solely on legal knowledge and gives importance to understanding complex problems based on which persuasive arguments can be given. The University is best known for its International Criminal Justice and Human Rights program.
- The cost to pursue an LLM from the University of Oxford ranges from Rs. 19,00,000 to 27,00,000.
What exactly are you waiting for now? Dig deep into this wide range of universities to understand which suits you best.
Oh! I know what you’re thinking now.
The United Kingdom is one of the most expensive places to live in. So how exactly can one afford to study LLM in the UK? Don’t worry, we’ve got you. Here’s what you can do.
The most common solution is to find out the availability of scholarships offered by the university that you wish to study in. Many of the scholarships in the UK are open to meritorious international students. These scholarships can be partial or fully paid, depending on the criteria, course, and the institution offering them. For example, the University of Dundee is offering partial scholarships to make its programs affordable for all students.
The UK government also offers loans to selective international students for their master’s degrees. For example, England offers master’s loans of up to £11,570 for courses starting in 2021-22.
While there are tons of other ways to finance your LLM, what about jobs, freelance opportunities, a career as an academic and other benefits of pursuing LLM? How do you get the most out of them?
Here is a bonus for you!
We are here with a FREE 3-day online Bootcamp to answer any and every question around ‘Should I do an LLM abroad? How can it help my career?’ from 18-20 December, 6-9 pm Indian Standard Time.
Registration Link: https://lawsikho.com/llmbootcamp
The Bootcamp will be hosted by Ramanuj Mukherjee, CEO & Co-Founder of LawSikho, and Abhyuday Agarwal, COO & Co-Founder of LawSikho.
If you have already registered, don’t forget to share this opportunity with your friends, colleagues, or classmates!
LawSikho has created a telegram group for exchanging legal knowledge, referrals and various opportunities. You can click on this link and join:
Follow us on Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel for more amazing legal content.