In this article, Shweta Kumari of Lloyd Law College discusses how to register cooperative societies in Delhi.
The article will cover the following points –
- REQUIREMENT AND PROCEDURES
- CONDITION OF ENROLLMENT OF MEMBER
- ROLE OF REGISTRAR
- KINDS OF SOCIETIES COULD BE REGISTER UNDER REGISTRAR COOPERATIVE SOCIETIES
- TIME SCHEDULE OF REGISTRAR COOPERATIVE SOCIETIES
- METHOD OF DEALING WITH THE COMPLAINTS
- NGO-SOCIETY FORMATION
- DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR THE STATE LEVEL
- DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR ALL INDIA LEVEL
- HOW A CLASS CONFLICT IN A NOIDA HOUSING SOCIETY ASSUMED COMMUNAL TONES
- GOVERNMENT HOUSING
- SOME HOUSING FACILITIES
The registrar cooperative societies, appointed by the Lt .governor, Delhi under Delhi cooperative societies act 2003, heads the cooperative department and plays a pivotal role in monitoring the functioning of cooperative societies registered under the act. The LT. Governor also appoints other persons to assist the registrar and has designated them as joint registrar, deputy registrar, assistant registrar and other ministerial staff. The office of the registrar is working on eight-section pattern and has eight sections headed by assistant registrar level officers. Each section handles the matters of various cooperative societies on the basis of their registered office located in that particular section. All issues concerning in particular society are examined at the section level only. 
REQUIREMENTS AND PROCEDURES FOR THE REGISTRATION OF NEW SOCIETY
The application or proposal for registration of society should come from promoter members who belong to different families but are residents of Delhi only. The proposal should also mention the specific scheme indicating that the proposed society will be viable and will ensure promotion of economic interest of the member.
DOCUMENTATION AND PROCEDURES
The complete set of registration papers can be obtained from the office of the Delhi state co-operative union, 31, Netaji Subhash Marg on payment of prescribed fees. The applications along with schemes initially received from the chief promoters and are scrutinised by the Dept. To ensure:-
- The viability of a society.
- Its conformity with Delhi co-operative societies act and rules.
The required documents are as follows:-
- Model by laws ( 4 copies )
- Enquiry Performa
- List of promoter members.
- Copy of promotional meeting resolution resolving name of the society, value of share money, admission fees, liabilities, total number of members of managing committee, annual submission fees, etc.
MAIN CONDITIONS OF ENROLMENT OF A MEMBER IN A CO-OPERATIVE SOCIETY
A resident of Delhi can become member of the society if he or she fulfils the conditions laid down in registered by laws of different types of societies. The person can become member on an industrial or transport society if he or she is actually engaged in their respective field and he or she should not be member of other society of similar activities. But in case of housing societies, an applicant for membership should not have any flat in their name or in the name of any dependent member of their family and should also be resident of Delhi for minimum period of 3 years on the date of application.
ROLE OF REGISTRAR
From the registration of co-operative societies till the cancellation of its registration, the registrar acts as a friend philosopher and guide to the co-operatives registrar order to ensure that the co-operative societies function in accordance with the provisions of Delhi co-operative act, rules, bye- laws, and govt policies. The main functions of registrar are as under:-
- Registration of co-operative societies.
- Amendments to the bye –laws of co-operative societies.
- Amalgamation, division and re-organisation of co-operative societies.
- Conduction election of managing committee in primary co-operative banks and federal co-operative societies.
- Regulation of investment of funds by co-operative societies as per act $ rules.
- To conduct audit and inspection, handle enquiries and fix surcharge on negligent functionaries of co-operative societies.
- To settle disputes of co-operative societies through the process of arbitration.
- Function as an appellant court.
- Enforcement of orders, awards and decrees of various courts.
- Winding up and cancellation of registration of non functional societies.
- To operate co-operative education fund for training, education and carry out publicity program to strengthen co-operative movement in the N.C.T of Delhi.
- To frame Delhi co-operative societies rules, 1973 from time to time.
- To issue directive for the promotion of business of different categories of co-operatives.
- To verify membership in housing co-operative for allotment of plots.
- To frames, execute and monitor various welfare schemes approved by the central govt including financial assistance to various sectors co-operatives.
KIND OF SOCIETIES COULD BE REGISTER UNDER REGISTRAR COOPERATIVE SOCIETIES
- Thrift and credit co-operative societies.
- Urban co-operative banks
- Industrial co-operative societies.
- Labour and construction cooperative societies
- Motor transport cooperative societies
- Consumer cooperative societies
- Marketing cooperative societies
- Co-operative federations
- Group housing societies.
- Security service cooperative societies
- Cooperative societies formed by professionals in the areas like IT, education art $ culture, insurance, women empowerment etc.
TIME SCHEDULE OF REGISTRAR COOPERATIVE SOCIETIES TO APPROVE THE NEW COOPERATIVE SOCIETIES
The time schedule for disposed of various applications received from societies are detailed below:-
- Approval of proposal for registration of a new co-operative society 30 days.
- Amendment in bye laws 60 days.
- Maximum credit limit of the society 90 days
- Approval of registration and enrolment of members in housing 60 days group housing society
- Other ( miscellaneous) 60 days.
METHOD OF DEALING WITH THE COMPLAINTS
When a complaint is received in the co-operative department, it is examined by the section concerned. If need be, the comments of the society concern official/non official is called for. After examination, if required, inspection u/s 54, enquiry u/s 55 or surcharge proceeding u/s 59 are ordered by the registrar. If the complaints fall in the purview u/s 60/61, the complaint is accordingly advised to file the arbitration case.
NGO- SOCIETY FORMATION
A NGO or society in India can be registered either on state level or on all India level. Before registering the NGO or society you should know about the difference between both of them.
To register the society or NGO at state level. You will have to provide the ID proof of seven members ( DL/copy of passport/ voter id ). You will have to provide two members ( president – treasurer secretary – treasurer ) from Delhi and another five member’s can be from any states. Two set of MOA of NGO or society.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR THE STATE LEVEL
- Id proof of seven members from the same state ( voter id/ driving licence/Adhaar card.
- One address proof of office premises.( Electricity bill/ water bill/house tax receipt)
- Name of the society/ NGO.
- Rest of the documents we will prepare.
- For any query please feel free to contact us.
ALL INDIA LEVEL
To register the society or NGO at all India level. you will have to provide the ID proof of nine member’s ( DL/ copy of passport/voter ID ). You will have to provide two members ( president- treasurer or secretary – treasurer ) from Delhi and another seven member’s from seven different states. Two set of MOA of NGO or society.
HOW A CLASS CONFLICT IN A NOIDA HOUSING SOCIETY ASSUMED COMMUNAL TONES
The events at the NOIDA housing society called MAHAGUN MODERNE started out as a class conflict protects over a domestic worker being allegedly locked up but has ended up with the same old Bangladeshi bogey. The society has now reportedly decided to ban Bangladeshi worker from entering the complex, and the slum cluster near sector 78 NOIDA where many of them live is also being demolished. It’s a safe way to end the entire matter for some of the self-righteous middle and upper-class people although the good news is that some residents are protecting. Of course, the Bangladeshi tag can be used to disenfranchise Indian Muslim who happens to be Bengali speaking. The maid who was locked up is reportedly from Cooch Behar,Westt Bengal, while those who will treat the domestic worker get away scot free.
The directorate of estates is responsible for administration and management of the office buildings for various central government organisations as well as reside accommodation for the employees in the metropolitan cities of Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai and five other cities.
The scheme of house to central government employees is aimed at providing assistance to the government employees to acquire house of their own.
Holiday homes are available for all the government employees throughout India. They can avail accommodation facilities at nominal charges while touring. Ordinarily, the booking of holiday is done on ‘first come first served’ basis. The allotting authority has a right to assign priority in booking in following order:-
CENTRAL GOVERNMENT EMPLOYEES WELFARE HOUSING ORGANISATION (CGEWHO)
The central government employees welfare housing organisation ( CGEWHO) has been established to promote control and coordinate the development of houses at selected places across India on no profit no loss basis as a welfare employees.
The organisation maintains skeleton project teams at construction sites which look after day to day operations of the construction and development. The goal of the government is to provide quality welfare housing services to the employees.
FOLLOWING ARE SOME HOUSING FACILITIES
The scheme to central government employees is aimed at providing assistance to them to
Construct / acquire house/ flats of their own. The scheme was introduced in 1956 as a welfare measure. The ministry of urban development $ poverty alleviation acts as the nodal agency for the same.
The EAWAS is a government to employee ( G-2-E) e-governance tool. It has been instrumental in creating a transparent, corruption free and efficient house allotment system. It helps maintain rules $ regulation in the system and generate more revenue.
Residents of government accommodation in new Delhi can lodge their complaints related to civil, electrical and horticulture. CPWD service centre download data for the complaints lodged for their service centre. It also update the status of the complaints after they have been addressed.
 Delhi.gov.in. department of registrar societies. government of NCT Delhi.[online] available at: http://www.delhi.gov.in/wps/wcm/connect/DOIT_RCS/rcs/home/ [ accessed 22 jul.2017].
 Delhi.gov.in, 23 mar.2015.registrar of co-operative societies.[online] available at: http://delhi.gov.in/wps/wcm/connect/doit_rcs/RCS/Home/FAQ [ accessed 22 jul.2017].
 Supra 2
 Supra 3
 Supra 4
 Supra 5
 The economic times. 2017.maids in modern India: how a class conflict in a NOIDA housingsociety assumed communal tones. [online].available at: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/maids-in-modern-india-how-a-class-conflict-in-a-noida-housing-society-assumed-communal-tones/articleshow/59715317.cm. [accessed 23 jul.2017].
India.gov.in, national portal of India.2013.[online] available at: https://india.gov.in/people-groups/community/government-employee/government-housing. [accessed 23 Jul.2017]