This article has been written and published by Oishika Banerji.
Counting fingers falling short while calculating fees to be paid for your LLM abroad? Eyes popping out seeing 6 to 10-digit numbers in the fee structure of your dream college? Want to fly down to a foreign nation to study LLM but stopping yourself from thinking about it because of financial restraints?
These thoughts are genuine and completely normal. We don’t want our parents to spend all of their savings on us and many of us don’t even get a job immediately after graduation to fund the LLM course.
A lot of us are unable to take a huge educational loan because we do not have a property of that much value to mortgage for our education loan (mandatory for any education loan about INR 5 lakhs in India).
What is the possible way out then? Scholarships, of course. Here is a comprehensive list for you if you want to do an LLM abroad.
Despite knowing the benefits of doing an LLM abroad, many are not able to afford it. This is one of the most common questions that we get at LawSikho which we are covering in our upcoming Bootcamp too.
Before you know about the list of scholarships available for you, let us learn about the three categories in which scholarships are divided:
- Merit cum need-based.
Each scholarship has a different application method, structure, and aid granted. Applying for an LLM is a time-consuming process, and applying for scholarships on top of that makes it much more difficult. This is sure to be a low period, time of saturation, and tiredness because the entire process is stretched out across four to six months (or even longer).
But can we just sit and stare at the walls? Or should we choose to paint the wall with our potential and lay a table of choices for us? The latter sounds more exciting, doesn’t it? Let’s see what all scholarships await us to pursue LLM.
Also, remember that almost every University has some full and partial scholarship programs. Partial scholarships are quite easy to get. For example, we at LawSikho are associated with a hybrid (online first course with the opportunity to attend some classes live) LLM program offered by Warsaw Management University, UNIES Business School in Germany, and Limburg Graduate School of Business in the Netherlands and we are often able to assist law graduates to get large scholarships that enable them to study their LLM program. We have assisted students to obtain such opportunities for in-campus LLM programs at School of Law, Texas A&M University as well. We have a network of US, UK, and Canadian universities where we may be able to assist you similarly as well, so always feel free to reach out to us if you are looking to do an LLM abroad.
Just drop a mail to [email protected] if you want our help outlining how we can help you. All the best!
National scholarships available for pursuing LLM
Why keep talking when we can directly get to the point? Let’s delve into the list of national scholarships that are available for Indian students willing to pursue LLM.
Scholarships which can be availed by every candidate in general
The Narotam Sekhsaria Foundation provides up to INR 2 million to an individual based on the courses. It is a loan award exclusive of interest, provided to brilliant Indian students. Every academic year, the Foundation invites all applications for the Narotam Sekhsaria post-graduate scholarships in the month of January. The application steps are provided hereunder:
1. Step 1: Pre-register to remain informed about the application process.
2. Step 2: After completing the registration procedure, the applicant must log in using the email address and password generated throughout the process.
3. Step 3: Applicants who have been selected for the next round of the selection process must upload the appropriate papers.
Step 4: Applicants who have been shortlisted will be required to attend an interview in May or June, 2022.
Step 5: By the end of June, the scholarship beneficiaries will be contacted. Applications that are not complete will be rejected, and the form must be filed by March 15, 2022.
Each year, the Aga Khan Foundation awards a limited number of postgraduate scholarships to outstanding students from select developing countries who have no other means of funding their studies, with the goal of developing effective scholars and leaders and preparing them for employment, primarily within the AKDN. Scholarships are provided on a 50/50 grant/loan basis once a year in June or July through a competitive application procedure.
KC Mahindra scholarship offers interest-free loans to students who wish to pursue postgraduate studies overseas. This Trust awards Rs. 10,000/- per annum to 550 students annually, for a maximum period of 3 years. Till date, 10,740 students have been awarded scholarship across India. Preference will be given to girl students, children from lower-income group families, differently-abled children, and children of armed forces personnel. The application form needs to be filled online and the documents requested should also be uploaded while submitting the application form.
It is a merit-based one-time loan fellowship available to Indian students who wish to pursue higher education (postgraduate, PhD, post-doctoral) in a foreign country. It is applicable to a wide range of courses. This scholarship is one of the most renowned and oldest (it was established in 1892).
For legal students, the Aditya Birla Scholarships cover a considerable portion of both academic and dormitory tuition. The legal scholarship is for Rs. 1,80,000 per year or real tuition, whichever is lower. Only the Indian students from the institutes listed below are eligible to apply for this scholarship:
- Bangalore’s National Law School of India University;
- Hyderabad’s NALSAR University of Law;
- National Law University of Jodhpur’
- WB National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata;
- Gujarat National Law University.
The Debesh Kamal Scholarship is open to all colleges in the world, including those in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Canada. A scholarship of INR 1 lakh is given to each recipient. The Debesh Kamal Scholarship is available to Indian students in various disciplines of study. The scholarship award must be utilized solely for tuition payments. Other costs (accommodation, travel, and insurance) are solely the responsibility of the recipient.
Every year, 14 scholarships and awards in the form of TOEFL Scholarships are made available to candidates. TOEFL scholarships are jointly offered by ETS and TOEFL Board Sponsors to students working in the fields of foreign or second-language research, teaching, or assessment, as well as international higher education.
The Tata scholarship is a fantastic opportunity for deserving students who want financial assistance to further their studies. Tata scholarship advantages are available to students at various levels of education.
- Since 1892, when Jamsetjee Nusserwanjee, the Tata group’s promoter, founded the JN Tata Endowment, more than 5,400 Indian students have been given loan scholarships. Only Masters, Ph.D., and Postdoctoral fellowships in any educational discipline are supported by the Endowment.
- It aims to reward based only on merit. The loan, which has a maximum amount of Rs 10 lakh, is repayable in seven years and is paid in five equal instalments beginning in the third year.
- A maximum of two children from the same family can apply.
- This scholarship are given based on senior secondary school examination results. 82000 new scholarships are offered each year (41000 for boys and 41000 for girls) for graduate and postgraduate studies in colleges and universities, as well as professional courses such as law, medicine, and engineering.
- The monthly scholarship rate would be Rs. 1000/- for the first three years of college and university studies, and Rs. 2000/- for the fourth and fifth year. In an academic year, the scholarship would be paid for ten months.
- Vanderbilt Law School, in collaboration with the National Law School of India University in Bangalore grants a $30,000 scholarship to a student who has obtained or will acquire a law degree from the National Law School of India University in Bangalore.
- This scholarship does not require a separate application, all approved students from NLSIU will be evaluated based on their applications for admission to the LL.M. programme. Candidates must apply to Vanderbilt through the standard LL.M. programme application procedure, which can be found here.
- The Department of Law and Criminology at Sheffield Hallam University is offering a full tuition fee waiver scholarship for MA/LLM in Applied Human Rights to students domiciled in India.
- Students interested in availing these scholarships are advised to contact The Department of Law and Criminology at Sheffield Hallam University.
The R.D. Sethna Scholarships are investments in young people allowing them to pursue their academic and career goals. The loan scholarships are awarded on the basis of excellent achievement and are intended to assist with the payment of tuition fees, academic materials, and other connected expenditures in order to improve the educational experience.
The eligibility criteria have been provided below:
Scholarships that can be availed only if you are fulfilling the eligibility criteria provided by it
VKSSF gives scholarships to students wishing to pursue higher education outside of India with a scholarship amount of INR 1 lakh per student every year. This scholarship is available to students who speak Konkani as their first language and wish to enroll in a foreign university.
The National Overseas Scholarship Scheme in the Central Sector aims to help low-income students from Scheduled Castes, Denotified Nomadic and Semi-Nomadic Tribes, Landless Agricultural Labourers, and Traditional Artisans who wish to pursue higher education, such as a Master’s degree or a Ph.D.
- The Scheme’s goal is to give financial help to underprivileged and deserving students from minority populations so that they can pursue professional and technical education. Financial aid will be provided to students pursuing technical and professional courses at graduate or postgraduate level from a recognised institution.
- Students who are accepted into a college to study technical or professional courses after passing a competitive test are eligible for the scholarship. For a period of ten months, a maintenance allowance of Rs.10,000/- per annum (Rs.1000 per month) would be granted, as well as a course fee of Rs.20,000/- per annum or the actual fees, whichever is less.
- The programme is run through the National Scholarship Portal (NSP). It is necessary for all students to apply online at www.scholarships.gov.in, the Ministry’s website.
INR 15 lakh aid is provided under the Government of Andhra Pradesh’s NTR Videshi Vidyadharana for BC & SC/ST Students for pursuing higher education in foreign universities.
The Ambedkar Scheme of Interest Subsidy on Educational Loans for Overseas Studies for Other Backward Classes (OBCs) and Economically Backward Classes (EBCs) is a scheme aimed at encouraging students from OBCs and EBCs to study abroad in the following programs.
International scholarships available for pursuing LLM
When someone tells you that pursuing LLM abroad is three times costlier than pursuing LLM in India we wonder if that is really true. Well, sadly it is. But you have nothing to worry about because we have got you covered. Here are some international scholarships available to you:
Want to go to the prestigious Oxford University to study LLM? The Rhodes Scholarship is your ticket. Each year, there are 5 scholarships available for Indians, out of which usually 1 or 2 are awarded to law students.
- Meritorious Indian students studying at institutions in the United Kingdom, the United States, and other European countries can apply for the Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation Scholarships. Students pursuing full-time Master’s, M.Phil., or Doctoral degree programmes can apply for grants, prizes, and scholarships through the programme.
- University Courses and Specific Programs are the two categories of scholarships offered by the Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation. The foundation pays for each recipient’s tuition, as well as additional living and travel expenses.
- The scholarship sum is only provided once, and the Foundation does not spend more than $100,000 on it. Candidates must be under the age of 30 to be considered for the various scholarship programmes. Candidates who have been shortlisted must attend two interview sessions.
- The universities of Oxford and Cambridge have been favoured destinations for Indian students for many years. Hence, the Indian society of these universities has come together to offer scholarships to aspirants who wish to study at either University of Cambridge or the University of Oxford.
- A citizen of India who is not more than 30 years of age and is a graduate of an Indian university can apply to a post-graduate course (LLM) under this scholarship. Scholarships are awarded on the basis of the candidate’s academic excellence, a good fit between the Scholar and the University, evidence of leadership potential and a commitment to improving the lives of others, particularly in India.
- The amount granted under this scholarship may differ year after year depending upon the funds raised by the society in association with other NGOs in India and abroad.
This scholarship is available in Hungary for Indian students who wish to study there. Students are drawn to Eastern Europe for the inexpensive living prices, a safe and pleasant living environment, and easy access to public transit, which are recognized across Europe and beyond. The program also seeks to foster and develop international graduates’ personal and professional ties to Hungary, as well as contribute to the promotion of Hungarian culture and language abroad.
- To apply for a Commonwealth Scholarship, you must be a citizen or permanent resident of a Commonwealth country. You will still be eligible if you are a refugee or a British protected person. You also need to have an undergraduate honours degree of at least upper second class.
- The Commonwealth Shared Award is a highly competitive master’s scholarship and one of the most coveted in the United Kingdom. It is co-funded by the UK government. UK higher education institutions through the Department for International Development (DfID) are partners to the same.
- Available for those students willing to study in the United Kingdom. Chevening is the government of the United Kingdom’s foreign scholarship programme. They provide grants to study in the UK for a year on a fully financed master’s degree course, supported by the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office and partner organisations.
- Chevening applicants come from a wide range of nations and experiences, but they all have the passion, ambition, and talent required to make the world a better place. Being chosen has several advantages, including completely supported tuition costs, access to some of the world’s greatest institutions, unique networking opportunities, and the opportunity to learn about the UK’s rich culture.
- If selected, you’ll join their varied network of over 50,000 worldwide graduates at the completion of your scholarship. You’ll go home with the knowledge and connections you need, to bring your ideas to life and succeed in your career.
- International scholarships to study law at the University of Southampton in the United Kingdom at the postgraduate level. All students from outside the European Union are welcome to apply.
- Refer: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/courses/funding/scholarships-awards.page.
Available to students of developing countries, including India, willing to study in London. The Felix Scholarship enables outstanding students from India to pursue graduate studies in any subject (including law) at the University of Oxford, the University of Reading, and the School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London (SOAS). This scholarship will cover 100% of the course fees, a grant for living costs (around £15,840), and one return flight from India to the UK. Awards are made for the full duration of your fee for the agreed course.
- This scholarship is for pursuing higher studies in the United Kingdom. Funded by the UK Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), these scholarships enable talented and motivated individuals to gain the knowledge and skills required for sustainable development, and are aimed at those who could not otherwise afford to study in the UK.
- Tuition expenses, a maintenance stipend, economy air travel to and from the UK at the start and end of the scholar’s degree programme, and other discretionary allowances are all covered by the grant. Normally, awards are only valid for a year.
- For 2022 entry Birmingham Law School are offering £5,000 scholarships to international/EU students on the LLM programme.
- Recipients of the Harding International Legal Scholarship are offered a tailored package to support professional and personal development:
- £5,000 financial scholarship as a fee waiver.
- An introductory meeting with Birmingham Law School Staff.
- Professional profile on the Birmingham Law School webpages.
- Membership of the Birmingham Law Society
- In order to know how to apply, refer:
- This scholarship is only available for students who want to do the LL.M. programme in Commercial Law (all three specialisations) or the LL.M. programme in International and European Union Law at Erasmus School of Law.
- The scholarship amounts may range from € 5,000 to € 15000 (to be decided by the selection committee) which the student will receive in their first year of studies.
- The Executive LLM programme at King’s College London and the IBA is a two-year, part-time degree programme for commercial, in-house, and regulatory attorneys who want to further their careers.
- Scholarships of up to 100% of postgraduate diploma tuition costs (worth up to £24,000) are offered to qualifying students. Keep an eye on the website for further information on this LLM fellowship.
- This grant covers solely the tuition expenses for the LL.M. programme at the University of Vienna (no travel costs). A legal degree from an international university with a strong academic record is required, as is a letter of admission to the LLM programme.
- To be considered for one of these scholarships, an applicant must excel in the discipline of law. Those who have done innovative work in the field of human rights or have an outstanding academic record may be eligible for such scholarships.
- International Excellence Scholarship is awarded to students who can demonstrate exceptional academic and extra-curricular achievement, as well as to those looking to study at ARU (Anglia Ruskin University, UK).
- The total value of this scholarship is £4,000.
- The College of Arts and Law is happy to offer a number of Home fees-only scholarships to individuals interested in studying full-time or part-time master’s-level courses beginning in September 2022. Students from the United Kingdom, the European Union, and other countries are encouraged to apply.
- For full-time students, these prizes pay one year of tuition fees at Home rates, or two years for part-time applicants.
- Awarded by Lincoln College, University of Oxford with the scholarship amount of 1000 GBP.
- Candidates must be accepted by the University and Lincoln College to read for the postgraduate degree of BCL or MJur with an emphasis or special interest in Public Law and must demonstrate academic excellence and show promise for a successful career in the legal field.
United States of America
- This fellowship is awarded to Indian students willing to study in the United States. The Fulbright-Nehru Master’s Fellowships are meant for excellent Indians to pursue a master’s degree programme in International Legal Studies, Public Administration, Women’s Studies/Gender Studies and various other disciplines.
- The fellowship is available to people with at least three years of professional job experience and can last anywhere from one to two years depending on the course.
- J-1 visa support, round-trip economy class plane travel from the fellow’s home city to the host institution in the United States, financing for tuition and fees, housing and associated costs, and accident and illness coverage according to US government criteria are all included in the grant benefits.
- NYU is one of the top ten law schools in the world for LLM programmes. For individuals interested in pursuing a career in taxation, NYU provides a list of five scholarships. Some scholarships pay the full cost of tuition, while others may just cover a portion of the cost.
- In addition to the five taxation scholarships, NYU offers three general LLM scholarships for deserving candidates who can get full tuition reimbursement. Aside from tuition, the scholarship may provide you with decent living expenses in one of the world’s most costly cities.
- Because the annual tuition expenses for an LLM at NYU are US$ 70,400, these scholarships might be beneficial to genuine and deserving applicants.
- For overseas students interested in pursuing an LLM at Columbia Law School, four scholarships are available. Each of the four scholarships have a particular aim. Depending on whose scholarship you receive, these scholarships guarantee to cover all or part of your CLS tuition.
- The Jagdish Bhagwati Fellowship, which is supported by the Indian government and provides partial to full financing for up to three fellows every academic year is one of the four scholarships available.
UCLA Law announces three full-scholarship programmes for J.D. (Joint Degree) students.
- The UCLA Law Distinguished Scholars Program is a three-year binding early-decision programme that offers full tuition to excellent individuals who are ready to commit to UCLA Law.
- The UCLA Law Achievement Fellowship is a non-binding opportunity for high-achieving students who have overcome major personal, educational, or socio-economic challenges to receive full tuition for three years.
- The Graton Scholarship is likewise non-binding and grants full tuition for three years to individuals interested in Native American legal professions.
- The distinguished members of the Hauser Scholars Selection Committee select ten of the best students from around the world as Hauser Global Scholars each year. These LLM students share their insights and experiences from their respective legal systems with the rest of the Law School academic community.
- The Hauser Global Scholars are provided with a full tuition scholarship and a living stipend for the year of their study at NYU, as well as intellectual and social integration into the Hauser Global Law School Program and NYU School of Law activities.
- Available for pursuing higher studies in China. Each year, awards are given to 100–200 candidates from all around the world. Scholars are chosen for the programme based on their demonstrated ability to become the next generation of global leaders who will build bridges between China and the rest of the world, as well as their leadership ability, academic achievement, and demonstrated potential to become the next generation of global leaders.
- A $4,000 allowance for personal costs, airfare tickets throughout the world, a research excursion throughout the country, and books that are required for the course are included in the scholarship.
- The Schwarzman Scholars programme at Tsinghua University in Beijing, China, is a one-year master’s degree and leadership programme that is completely supported.
The Government of the People’s Republic of China has made available to UNESCO, 75 fellowships for advanced studies in China at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels, including law. To be eligible for this prize, students must apply to the National Commission for UNESCO in their home countries.
- Registration, tuition, internship, and basic textbooks fees waived; free on-campus dormitory housing;
- Monthly living allowance;
- One-time settlement subsidy;
- Outpatient medical service and Comprehensive Medical Insurance;
- Protection Scheme for International Students in China; one-time inter-city travel reimbursement.
- Scholarship coverage: tuition waiver, free on-campus housing, stipend awarded in line with the applicable norm, complete Medical Insurance.
- Applicants must be nationals of a country other than China and in good health.
- Go to http://iczu.zju.edu.cn/english/redir.php?catalog_id=248 for further information.
- The Belt and Road Scholarship at Peking University’s School of Transnational Law (STL) has been announced for its LL.M. programme. This merit-based opportunity for candidates from countries involved in the Belt and Road Initiative will contribute to the development of a legal profession capable of navigating these and other unique obstacles.
- The Belt and Road Scholarship covers twenty five (25) percent of STL’s full program tuition.
- Refer to this link for eligibility criteria:
- This scholarship is for students pursuing the Maritime and Transportation Law stream of the LL.M. program and is awarded by City University of Hong Kong. Selection will be based on academic achievement and past work experience.
- The scholarship is contingent on students working full-time in a maritime-related sector in Hong Kong for 12 months after completing their degree. The scholarship award is full tuition fees.
- The Lee Kuan Yew (LKY) Scholarship is associated with prominence as well as a desire to serve Singapore. Many Lee Kuan Yew Scholarship recipients have contributed in a variety of disciplines including public sector, business, law, medicine, arts, and academia since the program’s establishment.
- If they are pursuing a Master’s degree or up to 5 years of PhD study, scholarship awardees will get an annual stipend of $50,000 for up to 2 years. With the exception of public sector recipients who are already financed for their postgraduate courses by their agency, this is not the case. The recipients in the public sector will receive a one-time payment of S$10,000.
- Five prizes of up to NZ$ 10,000 each are granted to academically exceptional students who choose to pursue an LLM at the University of Auckland.
- For international students, the annual tuition fees for an LLM at the University of Auckland is currently NZ$38,998. For deserving students, this grant might be a significant help. At the suggestion of a selection committee, the Dean of Law (or their nomination) shall present the prizes.
- Offered by University of Otago to the students taking up a thesis-based Master’s program at the university. The scholarship is awarded on the recommendations of the Senate to first-year thesis research applicants.
- A scholarship amount of NZD 15,000 stipend per annum and an additional of a tuition fee waiver for a year on the domestic rate is awarded. Scholarship applications can be made anytime. There are no deadlines.
- Only applicants that have good academic records will be chosen for the award due to limited availability.
- Applicants must be an international student.
- Offered by the Victoria University of Wellington. Students may apply for the LLM Fee Scholarship for one year for full-time study. Established in 2016 by the Faculty of Law, this scholarship contributes $5,000 towards fees for students enrolled full time for an LLM.
- The application process can be accessed here:
- University of Queensland, Australia has four scholarships for international students – two scholarships covering 50% of the tuition fees and two scholarships covering 25% of the tuition fees for courses undertaken towards the Master of Laws (LLM), Master of International Law (MIL) or Master of International Commercial Law (MICLaw).
- The scholarship does not include living expenses, travel expenses, overseas health cover or the student services and amenities fee.
- Full-tuition overseas scholarships for Indian students pursuing a coursework master’s degree or undergraduate degree at the University of Queensland at Australia’s Faculty of Business, Economics, and Law.
- Scholarship amounts to 50% of the tuition fee and validity is for the entire program.
- Students from around the world are welcome to apply to the Loch Law Scholarship Program. They must be currently attending college or university and studying law.
- Scholarship award is $500/ £350. Students to whom the scholarship is awarded are free to use this money towards any of their education related expenses.
- This scholarship program is open to all students who are enrolled in any full-time or part-time law program in any college or university across the world.
- Check: https://www.scholarshipdesk.com/loch-law-scholarship-program-law-student/
Does this all sound exciting to you? I definitely can’t wait for you all to start applying already.
Now you won’t have to give up your dreams and ambitions.
But how to apply, which LLM to go for, how to get the most out of it, how to prepare for jobs after LLM, there are still a ton of questions you would need help with.
Wait up! We are not done yet.
We invite you to our 3-day FREE online Bootcamp to answer your questions around Should I do an LLM abroad? How can it help my career? from 18-20 December, 6-9 pm Indian Standard Time.
The Bootcamp will be hosted by Ramanuj Mukherjee, CEO & Co-Founder of LawSikho, and Abhyuday Agarwal, COO & Co-Founder of LawSikho.
They will teach you how to pursue an LLM abroad thereby erasing the confusion created in the minds of several LLM aspirants.
If you have already registered, don’t forget to invite your friends, colleagues, or classmates to this Bootcamp.
Registration Link: https://lawsikho.com/llmbootcamp.
Students of Lawsikho courses regularly produce writing assignments and work on practical exercises as a part of their coursework and develop themselves in real-life practical skills.
LawSikho has created a telegram group for exchanging legal knowledge, referrals, and various opportunities. You can click on this link and join: https://t.me/joinchat/L9vr7LmS9pJjYTQ9