Under which law the shops/establishments have to be registered in Delhi?
Shops and establishments in Delhi were usually registered by sending a statement to the Chief Inspector in a prescribed form with certain details specified under Section 5 of the Delhi Shops and Establishments Act, 1954 (thereafter referred as ‘the Act’). This process of registration was exhaustive and time consuming as compared to the service of e-registration which has been introduced under the Act. Shops/establishments can now be registered in not more than an hour by the process of e-registration.E-registration is mandatory in order to get the shop/establishment registered under the Act.
Who can file for Registration?
This process of online registration can be adopted by anyone who wishes to register his/her establishment under the Delhi Shops and Establishments Act, 1954. Establishment for this purpose will include a shop, commercial establishment (e.g. an office), residential hotel, restaurant, eating-house, theatre or other places of public amusement or entertainment. In addition, the government can notify other types of establishments which will be governed by the act.
What is the process of online registration?
In Delhi, it is possible to complete the process of registration online. This electronic service of registration can be availed by submitting an e-form available on the labor department website at www.labour.delhigovt.nic.in. As specified under Rule 3 of the Delhi Shops and Establishments Rules, 1954, Form ‘A’ needs to be filled to get the Registration Certificate for any establishment. The form requires certain details like name and category of establishment, complete address, details of the shop/establishment and the shop owner, details of the employeesandnature of business.
The online form required for the registration process can be submitted by going to http://www.labour.delhigovt.nic.in/ser/FSE01_Registration.asp. This form needs to be filled in two parts. Once the registration form is submitted, the Registration Certificate will be issued automatically to you within a fraction of seconds by the Department of Labor, Delhi. This complete process of registration is cost free. This process could be summarized in three very simple steps-
- Go to http://www.labour.delhigovt.nic.in/ser/FSE01_Registration.asp
- Fill the two page form and click on the register button.
- Get a print out of your Registration Certificate
Miscellaneous point to be kept in mind:
- If any change is required in the Registration Certificate issued to you, then the Occupier/Employer is required to notify the Chief Inspector.
- The Registration Certificate has to be obtained within 90 days from the date on which the establishment commences its work.
- Owners of placement agencies supplying domestic servants have should also be registered under the Act.
- Failure to get the establishment registered under the Delhi Shops and Establishment Act is a punishable offence.
Rachnendra is currently studying at the National Law University, Odisha
LawSikho has created a telegram group for exchanging legal knowledge, referrals and various opportunities. You can click on this link and join:
Delhi Shops and Establishments Act, 1954; §.2(9).
Delhi Shops and Establishments Rules, 1954; Rule 3.