Law School
Department of Law, Assam University
Department of Law, Assam University
For the North-Eastern States there is one Bar Council. To get enrolled with the Bar Council, you have to do the following:

  1. Firstly obtain a form costing Rs. 400/-. You have to get a Chalan from the Bar Council Clerk, and then remit the amount with Bank in the Bar Council Premises itself. Thereafter on showing the paid chalan, you will be issued with an Enrolment Form.
  2. Fill up the Form, get it certified/recommended from 2 Advocates who have an experience of 10 years or more.
  3. You need to affix your photographs. (photographs must be recent)
  4. Draft of Rs. 600/- (Rs. 100/-for the person who is a member of the Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe) in favour of the Bar Council of Assam, Nagaland, Meghalaya, Manipur, Tripura, Arunachal Pradesh and Sikkim.
  5. Draft of Rs. 150/- (Rs. 25/- for the person who is a member of the Scheduled Caste/Scheduled Tribe) in favour of the Bar Council of India. Both the drafts are to be drawn on Guwahati Brach of any Nationalised Bank.
  6. Following documents are required :

i. Attested copy of SSC/HSC or Equivalent certificate.
ii. Attested copy of LL. B. Certificate issued by the university.
iii. Attested copy of the certificate issued by the law College with roll number and the year of final examination.
iv. Two photographs signed on the reverse by the applicant.
v. Certificates of two Advocates

Time Period: The time period for generally is around 20 days. (Source: Telephonic Query with the office in-charge)
Official website:
Address: 2nd Floor of the Guwahati High Court, Panbazar, Guwahati-781001, Post Box No. 182
Contact No.: 0361-2544663, 2734840, 099545-46004.

USEFUL TIPS (To be kept in mind)!

  • Write your FULL NAME exactly as it appears on your mark sheet, in the exact sequence as required on each form. Middle Name must be written.
  • Your photograph must be taken in “uniform” which means that it must be in formal attire, preferably in a coat and tie.
  • The photograph should be of stamp size. (May different from state to state)
  • All document copies need to be attested. Getting the attestation from your college principal is the simplest, cheapest and fastest. Else, any gazetted officer, Special Executive Officer or member of the Bar Council will do.
  • You need to submit the recommendations of 2 advocates who have been in practice for more than 10 years. Don’t forget to get their enrolment number and enrolment date, which will be on their Advocates ID Card.

For any query directly contact the office of your respective State Bar Council.

Download Now


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here