One can either apply for enrolment in the Bar Council of Maharashtra and Goa online, through their official website – http://www.barcouncilmahgoa.org, or submitting a form physically at the office of the Bar Council at Enrolment Department, 2nd Floor, High Court Extension Building (Behind HSBC Bank, M G Road), Fort, Mumbai – 400032.
Interestingly, there are certain differences in the fees and procedure involved in the online submission and physical submission of the form.
Difference between online and physical form submission
Physical form purchased at the office of the Bar council
|The person who will submit the online form must pay Rs 5800, in form a Demand Draft (DD) in the name of Bar Council of Maharashtra and Goa.||The person who will submit the online form must pay Rs 5450, in form a Demand Draft (DD) in the name of Bar Council of Maharashtra and Goa.|
|No additional cost apart from the DD to be submitted.||The enrolment form that is purchased from the office costs Rs 300.|
|If you are filing up the online form, you will be provided with an extra form, ie., the “Membership Form For Maharashtra Advocate Welfare Fund”. Advocates who are enrolling can choose not to fill up the form at this point of time.||No such form is given.|
|In the online form, all pages, except the last two pages, must be printed on green ledger paper only. The last 2 pages of the form, ie, the Advocates Welfare Scheme Rule 40 and Welfare Fund Membership Form need to be printed on a white A4 size paper.||The form obtained at the office, has all the forms in the desired manner. So, the chances of error in filling up the form are less.|
Documents to be enclosed – A checklist before you submit
- 1 Demand Draft worth Rs 5800 (online form) or Rs 5450 (physical form) in the name of Bar Council of India, payable at Mumbai
- 1 Demand Draft worth Rs 150, in the name of Bar Council of India, payable at Mumbai
- An attested copy of your graduation Certificate (B.Com, BSc, BA) in case of a 3 years LLB course.
- In case, you have not received your LLB certificate on the date of filing the form, you can submit attested copies of both your final year mark-sheets and the final semester pass certificate/provisional certificate issued by the university.
- An attested copy of your Birth Proof (You can submit your School / College Leaving Certificate, Birth Certificate or Passport as birth proof)
- One should be careful while filling up the form. One must write their FULL NAME as per the name mentioned in the mark sheet and in the proper format as mentioned in the form. If you have a middle name, you should mention it as well.
- One must affix a stamp-sized photograph, taken in “uniform”, i.e., white shirt and black pant, along with a coat and tie.
- All the photocopied documents which are submitted must be attested. You can get the documents attested from any gazetted officer, Special Executive Officer or member of the Bar Council or the principal of your college.
- Moreover, you need to submit recommendations from two practising advocates having experience of more than ten years. The recommendations should be accompanied by the enrolment number and date of enrolment of the advocates from whom you have obtained recommendation.
Official website: http://www.barcouncilmahgoa.org
Address: Enrolment Department, Bar Council of Maharashtra and Goa, 2nd Floor, High Court Extension Building (Behind HSBC Bank, M G Road), Fort, Mumbai – 400032
Contact No.: +91 – 22 – 2265 6567 / 22677508
Information taken from http://lawgic.info/ and http://www.barcouncilmahgoa.org
LawSikho has created a telegram group for exchanging legal knowledge, referrals and various opportunities. You can click on this link and join: